JTAG SMT2-NC

mubasheer

Hi.

We had bought few numbers of JTAG SMT2-NC for a project in that just 1 programmer left out so I thought to use it as a normal programmer for me personally.

can anyone please share me a simple schematic to build a normal programmer and requirements to do it.

also I just read here in the community someone saying his this board working for him with adept but not with vivado, is it true?

thank you at the earliest.

Hi @mubasheer,

The JTAG SMT2 should work with the Vivado Hardware Manager as that is it's intended purpose; to provide USBUART to JTAG connectivity. Adept will be able to detect the board, but will likely not be able to correctly identify the downstream FPGA. I'm not certain why that particular board was only able to be detected by Adept and not the Xilinx tools.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi.

Thanks. This Reference manual helped a lot. now I just wanna know can I skip using GPIO3 to ps_srst_b signal in my designs ? or if I must have to use it then how can i design for building an universal programmer with JTAG-SMT2-NC Please.

Thanks and regards.

Hi @mubasheer,

I presume you are referring to GPIO2 as there is not a GPIO3 on the JTAG SMT2 NC.

I'm not able to really answer the question on how do I build a "universal programmer", partially because I don't know what boards and devices you are including in that phrase. On a different line of though, if you want the programmer to be universal, would you exclude Zynq devices by not connecting to the ps_srst_b pin?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi.

as I said earlier I am going to use this device as an external programmer for any Xilinx FPGA's not just for one FPGA.

Yes, sorry for that there is no GPIO3 it was a mistake I meant it was a GPIO2. First let me know can I program any Xilinx device with JTAG-SMT2-NC programmer and my previous question was simple >> can  i connect  from JTAG-SMT2-NC to any Xilinx as below:

JTAG-SMT2-NC                                               ANY Xilinx FPGA

TCK                                                                    >>TCK                                                                            

TDI                                                                    >>TDI    

TMS                                                                    >>TMS

TDO                                                                    >>TDO

GND                                                                    >>GND

VREF                                                                      >>VCC3V3

is These sufficient  connections while assuming that we have connected the JTAG-SMT2-NC through USB to the computer and converting USB 5V to 3.3V with few regulator and surge protector circuit?

or

Do I have to implement a GPIO2 of JTAG-SMT2-NC to the PS_SRST_B of my FPGA? or can i skip this? what is the purpose of Connecting GPIO2 to FPGA ?

Hi @mubasheer,

It says in the GPIO section of reference manual of the JTAG SMT2 NC that the output buffers for the GPIO pins are disabled, placing the signals into a high impedance state and remain disabled until an application enabled DPIO Port 0 and configures those pins as outputs, so you do not need to connect them if you do not plan to use them. As far I know, non-Zynq devices do not have a PS_SRST_B pin to connect to.

If you want a more general purpose programmer similar to the JTAG SMT2 NC that is more portable, I would recommend taking a look at the JTAG HS2       or JTAG HS3.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived