dmvieau

dmvieau

Question

Hi Attila,

A year ago exactly (I really coincidentally just decided to send you this exactly 1 year from when it was posted ... go figure!!!) you posted the following:

Posted September 30, 2019

Hi @iDetect

Soon you may find devices at Digilent better suited for your needs.

I'm planning to add support for lower latency captures with Analog Discovery, but it will take some time to implement it.

Thank you for your post. Such feedback/requests direct the soft/hardware developments.

Wondering if there is any news in this 'lower latency' realm?

I have an application involving analog data acquisition that requires the capture of a 'sliver' of data 20 usecs of data (at 50Msps) to be collected every 6msec. Via any automation software strategy for the AD2 is it possible to write custom software so that I can transfer small segments of data 'on the fly' to a target buffer/file (appending each 20usec chunk of data every 6msec)? (I know the rough composite maximum AD2 rate is/was ~1Msp as you have stated in the past so it would be below that rate on 1 channel acquisition). Any improvement in this realm?

I don't necessarily need to trigger for each 6msec period because of the repetition capture time window being a deterministic 6msec period BUT I may want to actually use multiple triggers to capture such small segments for other applications

I'm basically trying to reduce the data transfer total to have a fighting chance to make at least soft real-time decisions.

So I just need 20usecs captures each 6msec period which works out to 166 20usec 50Msps captures/6msec samples per so the total data collected is 20usecs * 166 @ 50Msps

Multiple triggers would be 'nice' for other application 

Thank you,

Dean Vieau

4 answers to this question

Hi @dmvieau

I may have waited for Eclypse Z7 board to be released:
https://store.digilentinc.com/eclypse-z7-zynq-7000-soc-development-board-with-syzygy-compatible-expansion/

I don't remember exactly on what AD improvements I was referring to... but it may be already added...?
The application adds some latency to the captures but with a script/custom app you can have up to 2kHz rate (0.5ms/capture) with 2k captures.
AnalogIn_AcquisitionRate.py

image.png.30592f471e66aff45d2422272e5dec3f.png

Hi Atilla,

Yes,

when I referenced the 'tight coupling' I meant it is tightly coupled to the 'on board' internal processor (I probably shouldn't call it a 'host system'). I know it was not an AD2-like/Waveforms instrument. Drilling down it looks perfect for many applications due to the great analog capability. Thanks again for making me aware of this product line.

Dean

Archived