Analog Discovery "is being used by another application" (except it isn't)

Grant Edwards

Question

Waveforms stopped working for me recently on one of my Linux machines (it still works on other machines with same Analog Discovery unit, same distro & kernel).  On the one machine, I now always get an error dialog:

Device opening failed.
The device is being used by another application.
Device programming failed.

I've checked, and AFAICT, it is not being used by another application.  The ftdi_sio driver has disconnected as it should, and no other application aside from waveforms has that usb device open.

Any ideas on what might be causing this error?

The only thing that changed since it used to work is that I replaced the motherboard — switching from Intel to AMD CPU.

9 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, Grant Edwards said:

Waveforms stopped working for me recently on one of my Linux machines (it still works on other machines with same Analog Discovery unit, same distro & kernel).  On the one machine, I now always get an error dialog: [...]

The exact error appears to depend on which USB port is used.  If I plug it into one of the USB-3.0 ports, I get a different error:

Device opening failed

Communication after programming failed or image device id is wrong.
ID: 0x0 Type 0x0 Version 0x0

The udev rules were there, and were doing what they were supposed to be doing (detaching the ftdi_sio driver).

I think that another change that happened since waveforms worked on this machine is that the kernel got updated from 4.19 to 5.4.

I _thought_ that waveforms was working on another very similar installation (same 5.4 kernel version).  But, although the device was detected/opened, the application has a _lot_ of problems actually running.  It hangs for 5-10 seconds a time (ignoring mouse/keyboard input).  Starting/stopping the scope takes many seconds.  That was with kernel 5.4.  Switching back to a 4.19 kernel on the second machine (everything else same), and waveforms works fine.  I'm trying to get a 4.19 kernel running on the first machine (where the analog discovery can't be opened), but haven't gotten that set up yet.

3 hours ago, Grant Edwards said:

[..]  It hangs for 5-10 seconds a time (ignoring mouse/keyboard input).  Starting/stopping the scope takes many seconds.  That was with kernel 5.4.  Switching back to a 4.19 kernel on the second machine (everything else same), and waveforms works fine.  I'm trying to get a 4.19 kernel running on the first machine (where the analog discovery can't be opened), but haven't gotten that set up yet.

The first machine's hardware is too new for a 4.19 kernel.  It looks like that machine can't run a kernel old enough to make Waveforms happy.  I'll have to stick with running waveforms on older machines.

Hi @Grant Edwards

I see a kernel version posted but not the name of the distribution that you are running. Can you please tell me which Linux distribution you are using? I assume it's also the 64-bit version? I'll be on vacation for the next 10 days after today so it may be a while before I have a chance to debug this on my end if I don't get to it today.

Thanks,
Michael

I haven't had a chance to test with Ubuntu yet, but I've tested with a fifth Gentoo machine, and waveforms again works under 4.19 but not 5.4.  Under 5.4, the analog discovery module is detected OK, but when you select the oscilloscope and click 'run' it takes about 15 seconds for the button to change state and data acquisition to start.  Various other operations have delays anywhere from a few seconds to 10-15 seconds, and sometime it just hangs for a many seconds at a time.  [Nothing shows up in dmesg or syslog when these delays happen.]

So far I have the following datapoints:

Desktop #1  kernel 4.19  works
Desktop #2  kernel 4.19  works
Laptop #1 kernel 4.19 works
Laptop #2 kernel 4.19 works
Laptop #1  kernel 5.4 (delays, lock-ups)
Laptop #2 kernel 5.4 (delays, lock-ups)
Desktop #3 kernel 5.4 (detect fails:device in use or invalid device id)

Archived