Need FPGA board supporting 3.3V & 1.2V LVCMOS I/Os.

Paul Howard

Question

2 answers to this question

@Paul Howard,

The Nexys Video and Genesys2 allow user selection of Vccio on banks with IO connected to the FMC connector. The FMC connector isn't easy to  design an add on board for. A better choice might be SYZYGY based boards. I have had good experience with the Opal Kelly XEM7320. Digilent also makes an Artix based SYZYGY FPGA board with 1 standard SYZYGY port ( I haven't used this board so I have no opinion on it ). The SYZYGY connector footprint isn't trivial to work with either but is suitable for high speed IO.SYZYGY standard ports  by definition have a mix of single-ended and differential IO with appropriate clock capable pins for wide LVDS designs.

Opal Kelly makes other FPGA boards that allow the user to provide their own Vccio for some banks.

I like the Numato Labs Mimas-A7. You can't select IO bank voltage on a project basis like the FMC equipped boards but it's possible to change the Vccio by changing 1 resistor value. It wouldn't be too difficult to modify the board so that you cna provide a user selectable Vccio.

Many of the Xilinx built FPGA boards with FMC connectors support Vccio betwen 1.2V and 3.3V... but not the UltraScale boards. The higher end FPGA device, the lower the maximum Vccio that can be used. It's all about the feature line size on the silicon.

There really are no vendors who make FPGA boards for prototyping or experimentation and provide everything that one might want but the boards that I've mentioned are close. I've only mentioned boards that I've used.

Paul,

If you Ok with the Zynq I would suggest to look at variety of boards on Avnet.com.

I used some of them with success and would give my recommendations.

High speed connectors are mechanically robust and easy to route if you want to make custom daughter boards.  Documentation is also excellent.

Archived