JTAG-SMT2-NC

Leo_W

Question

Hi Digilent,

I used DIGILENT JTAG-SMT2-NC on my board , Now I have a strange problem!!!

When I use “Digilent Adept”,  I can use this module to program ,

As you can see, everything is right!

!But!  When I use VIVADO2018.3 , there are problems as shown in the figure below,The jtagsmt2 shown in the picture is because the firmware was flashed with DigilentFTDIConfig, but the situation of not flashing and flashing the firmware is the same

TCL LOG :

open_hw_target

INFO: [Labtoolstcl 44-466] Opening hw_target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210251A08870

ERROR: [Labtools27-2269]No devices detected on target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210251A08870.

Check cable connectivity and that the target board is powered up then

use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server to re-register this hardware target.

ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'open_hw_target' failed due to earlier errors.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Please help. Thank you!

image.thumb.png.851c40b9a92a968abf163f250a8ad496.png

image.thumb.png.a438be0a9cd6d48aee59afdf2969cc4e.pngimage.png.e2551198552712490e1e14405f114593.png

image.png.fb4850f9a358bae0e9ae3459a3bb70d8.png

5 answers to this question

Hi @Leo_W,

That is an odd error if Adept is successfully able to detect (and based on your screenshot) and program the downstream A7-200T (I presume this a custom board as opposed to a Digilent or Xilinx evaluation board?), but Vivado is not able to detect the downstream FPGA. Xilinx tools tend to forcibly take over enumeration of the FPGA even if Adept is already connected, at least from what I tested in with a JTAG HS2 in Vivado 2018.3.

Based on your screenshots it looks like you are using Windows; do you know if you installed the Digilent cable drivers during the Vivado installation (Xilinx answer record on how to do this here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59128.html).

Thanks,
JColvin

16 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Leo_W,

That is an odd error if Adept is successfully able to detect (and based on your screenshot) and program the downstream A7-200T (I presume this a custom board as opposed to a Digilent or Xilinx evaluation board?), but Vivado is not able to detect the downstream FPGA. Xilinx tools tend to forcibly take over enumeration of the FPGA even if Adept is already connected, at least from what I tested in with a JTAG HS2 in Vivado 2018.3.

Based on your screenshots it looks like you are using Windows; do you know if you installed the Digilent cable drivers during the Vivado installation (Xilinx answer record on how to do this here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59128.html).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

This board is a custom board, and we turned off Adept when using Xilinx tools.

We have re-installed the Digilent cable drivers for several times with several versions, but it still happened. PS:  When we used the Digilent Board after re-installed, it worked good on Vivado and Adept.

Hi @Leo_W,

I asked another engineer much more familiar with Adept and the JTAG modules about this (they created and developed both), but they did not have any further suggestions or know what the problem might be. The only thing that they noted was the diodes on the JTAG lines which increases capacitance and could cause signal integrity issues, but it's unlikely this is the problem since you are able to consistently access and program the board through Adept through the SMT2-NC.

From what I understand, Adept doesn't do anything different than Vivado in terms of detecting a downstream FPGA board (though it is more limited as to what types of boards that it supports). If I'm not mistaken, the Digilent cable drivers that are part of the Vivado installation come from Adept in the first place.

I wish I could offer some useful advice that isn't reinstall/use a different version of Vivado (I imagine you've tried it by this point), but I don't have any other debugging techniques that you could try.

Thank you,
JColvin

@Leo_W

Are you able to successfully program the FPGA through J19 with a JTAG-HS1/JTAG-HS2, or other compatible programmer? Please note that the JTAG-SMT2 must be inactive for this to work.

I would try removing D43, D44, D45, and D46 and see if that makes any difference becaue. If that doesn't make a difference then I would additionally shunt R299 and then try it again.

Another thing to try is reducing the TCK frequency in Vivado's hardware manager. It defaults to 15 MHz, which is faster than Adept's 10 MHz default.

Thanks,
Michael

Archived