Nexys A7-100T reference design

rvxprj

Question

6 answers to this question

14 hours ago, rvxprj said:

Just to confirm, I can use the VGA controller VGA.vhd described in the OOB demo for use in my own project?

You are free to use published source code according to the terms of the license, assuming that such terms are part of the source file. Published demo projects using the board design flow are also free for use in personal designs. Of course if you publish a design of you own that borrows from others it's proper to credit their contribution.

Where does Digilent describe the applicability of that license?  How can I be sure that, for example, sources which are in the Basys-3 Abacus example, are all covered by this license posted in a completely different Git at a different date, without any link between the two or even explanation of the intent of that master license?  That makes no sense.

Proper practice is to include the license document in the Git for each project.  With your current arrangement if I use one of the excellent library elements there and then send that to a client, the client's legal is likely to reject the overall project as including sources of uncertain licensing.

The examples are a wonderful resource and a reason to recommend Digilent prototyping boards, but that license needs to be attached to projects, not randomly posted without any supporting context.  For all anyone knows, Sam Kristoff could simply have been saving work in progress and never intended for use.

Hi @TanjB,

The MIT license that I linked earlier is more indicative of Digilent's licensing philosophy in general. Digilent prefers the MIT license and use it when possible to give end customers the most flexibility to reuse and redistribute the code on our Github.

As you noted, not all of our repositories explicitly include a license file; if this is a barrier to using a particular piece of code produced by Digilent, please reach out to us and we can add a license file to it.

Thank you,
JColvin