ZedBoard Linux Hardware Design for Vivado

saleksin

Question

I know, that this question is a little obvious, and might have been already asked, but I didn't find solution so I will ask it.

I'm new to Zedboard, and I want to understand how should I make hardware design for Linux, in particular what to do in order to make OLED work with Linux driver from Digilent. The easiest way for it is to look at the example design, that is delivered with board out of the box. The problem is that it is only for ISE, and not for Vivado.

Could someone provide ZedBoard Linux Hardware Design for Vivado? I would also appreciate some hints about where to look for answre to my question. I know it is something connected with EMIO, but I don't know how should I configure processor, and I don't know if I should add any additional IP cores, or something.

Thanks in advance for replies.

6 answers to this question

Hello saleksin, 

Sorry for the late response, one great source of information, demos and tutorials for the Zedboard in Vivado is at zedboard.org. I believe it requires you to register but there is no cost. Once registered follow this path : Home->Support->Reference Design / Tutorials->Zedboard. Also a good blog for information for the zedboard is at http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/160.html#.V2r2RvkrJhG. In the near future we will be posting a demo for the Zybo that uses the PmodOLED that with some little changes that will enable users to use onboard OLED on the Zedboard. 

Thank you,

Jon

Thanks for the reply!

Zedboard.com is obviously the first place to search. Unluckily, many of tutorials, or designs are out of date (for example they are from ISE days), or consists of cores, that are not available at no cost. Reference design is the one from first group.

The second page is also familiar to me, but has nothing I need in this case.

But actually, I've found the solution. It is here: https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/xilinx/kc705/adv7511 There should be link to this page on zedboard.com instead of old version that is posted. This reference design has almost every component or interface that is on the board, including OLED and in my opinion it is the best start point for other designs.

Now my problem is that I can't get OLED kernel module work. It works, when I compile it as built-in driver, but this way I was not able to launch poweroff sequence, which AFAIR is important for OLED module. So I will be happy to see some example for Zybo, as It will be almost the same for Zedboard.

Hey saleksin,

Now that you have your hardware project figured out, you have kind of ventured into the realm of "linux questions". We have different people that specialize in those kind of questions, but they tend to hang out in the "Embedded Linux" sub-forum. I'd recommend posting your question in there... 

Hi Jon,

Happen to work on OLED with exact same problem. asked question on this forum as follows,

A year has past since your first note, please inform whether this modified PmodOLED module is available for onboard Zedboard-OLED now.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance

Mike

On 6/23/2016 at 6:18 AM, jpeyron said:

In the near future we will be posting a demo for the Zybo that uses the PmodOLED that with some little changes that will enable users to use onboard OLED on the Zedboard. 

Thank you,

Jon

Archived