Wrong pins assignment led to electrical damage

fel88

Question

Hi, my board Zybo Z7-20

I set LVDS_25 on my PMOD JB pins instead of default LVCMOS33, like tihs:

##Pmod Header JB (Zybo Z7-20 only)
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN V8    IOSTANDARD LVDS_25} [get_ports { jb_out[0] }]; #IO_L15P_T2_DQS_13 Sch=jb_p[1]        
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN W8    IOSTANDARD LVDS_25} [get_ports { jb_out[1] }]; #IO_L15N_T2_DQS_13 Sch=jb_n[1]         
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN U7    IOSTANDARD LVDS_25} [get_ports { jb_in[0] }]; #IO_L11P_T1_SRCC_13 Sch=jb_p[2]        
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN V7    IOSTANDARD LVDS_25} [get_ports { jb_in[1] }]; #IO_L11N_T1_SRCC_13 Sch=jb_n[2]   

Then I programmed the board and it seems that it was damaged somehow after programming (now when I turn on the board I can't see blinking leds)

Is it possible that wrong pins assignment led to electrical damage of the board (or maybe flash)?

2 answers to this question

Hi,

it sounds very unlikely. Now it does happen that boards fail (which is very rarely related to the FPGA itself, but more often unreliable USB cables, connectors, failing voltage regulators, PCB microcracks and, did I mention, unreliable USB cables) but usually, the problem is somewhere else.

The FPGA GPIO circuitry is very robust. Unless there is an external power source involved outside the bank voltage range, I doubt you'd manage to damage it even if you tried.

I guess we all know those panic moments, like "oh no I've bricked / toasted the board" and then you have a coffee, reboot the PC and everything is well again.

Archived