Safe handling of CMOD S6?

Ryan

Question

I am a Project Lead the Way teacher using the CMOD S6 chips during labs for most of 2nd semester. Our curriculum is designed to use these chips as a bundle with the NI MyDAQ system.

I have been doing electronics for a while and understand how touchy CMOS logic can be, but I am burning through these chips weekly. I'm not sure what I'm missing here or if I received a bad batch of chips, but I have students avoiding touching the chips completely at this point, as well as having static wrist straps on. They do no wiring while the chip is powered on, and have them grounded to the board when we are using the onboard logic (buttons / switches) from the MyDAQ. 

Any help??  I understand I don't have much to go on here, but anyone else that has been down this road with PLTW, I'd be happy to have some advice here before I have to go spend another $1000 on chips. 

3 answers to this question

HI Ryan, 

That is concerning!
Do you have some of the bad ones that you can return to us so we can investigate it? We'd like to figure out what is happening. 

On a side note, we have begun included additional headers with the Cmod S6, so handling is easier (pulls in and out of the breadboard easier). 

-Larissa

20150710_120322.jpg

Larissa,

I have the students leave the CMODs in the breadboards - I realize the pins aren't great for pushing in and out so I simply leave the chips in the boards. I have had pins break once or twice a while back but this seems like a separate issue. Where should I send the chips? 

Hey Ryan, 

For now you can hold off on sending the failed board(s) in, but that could be a good option to help us troubleshoot later. Instead, can you describe the typical failure mode a bit more? The answers to these questions would help:

1. Does the failed board still power on when attached to a power source? This is indicated by LD4
  2. Does the board get excessively hot or generate any whirring noises when attached to a power source?
  3. Are there any visual signs of scorching/damage on the failed board?
  4. Does the computer detect the board when it is attached? Can it be seen in the Device Manager?
  5. If the board can be connected, can the software successfully program the FPGA?

Also, if possible, can you please provide a picture of a Cmod S6 in your breadboard circuit your class is using?

Archived