Vivado HW Manager unable to connect to Basys3

MarkSe

Question

I just acquired a Basys3 to replace my old Spartan-3E board. I followed the instructions and setup Vivado 2020.1, the board files, and created a project. After finishing Synthesis when I open the HW Manager it is unable to connect to my device. This is the output that I receive. 

connect_hw_server -allow_non_jtag
INFO: [Labtools 27-2285] Connecting to hw_server url TCP:localhost:3121
INFO: [Labtools 27-2222] Launching hw_server...
INFO: [Labtools 27-2221] Launch Output:

****** Xilinx hw_server v2020.1
  **** Build date : May 27 2020 at 20:24:38
    ** Copyright 1986-2020 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
ERROR: [Labtools 27-2220] Launch Error:
Unable to launch local hw_server executable.

ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'connect_hw_server' failed due to earlier errors.

4 answers to this question

Hi @JColvin my issue turned out to be because of Microsoft Hyper-V. It was blocking access to the ports required by Vivado. Once I disabled Hyper-V everything worked as expected and I've been able to connect and program my Basys3.

I think you should add a note for users somewhere about this because it was very difficult to identify this unexpected issue. Having this captured could save future users some significant time and frustration. It may be possible but I was unable to find a way to unblock the needed ports.

Mark

Hi @MarkSe,

I am looking into this; I received a similar error (not exactly the same), but when I closed out Vivado and then tried again on a different day I was able to have the Hardware manager successfully detect and connect to the board.

Could you attach a picture of your block design? Also, is your Basys 3 successfully detected by your operating system?

Thanks,
JColvin

On 9/15/2020 at 10:55 AM, JColvin said:

Thank you for your feedback.

I'll put in a request to have this mentioned in the documents, or more realistically a page for troubleshooting connectivity issues.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you. That will help others I am sure.

Archived