Analog Discovery 2 ERC: 0x2

pitunia

Question

Hello,

I have been experiencing a lot of errors on our lab's new Analog Discovery 2 that we received a few weeks ago and it was working well until today. All of a sudden, the device stopped working while taking a measurement and USB communication stopped working. It was also not powered by an external supply before. Upon restarting Waveforms 2015, it said that there was not enough power, so we connected it up to a 5V external supply and now we are getting the following error.
GetFileAttachment?id=AAMkADRhNzQwNzJjLTA

Could you please help me troubleshoot this error since I can't seem to find much about it on the forums? 

Thanks,
James Cornell

9 answers to this question

21 hours ago, attila said:

Hello,

The USB Controller of Analog Discovery 2 is always powered from USB, therefore it needs a minimal USB power.
Could you try using another USB cable or powered USB hub ?

Hello thanks for your response! I have tried different computers, usb cables and even aux power. 

Are you always getting this ERC 0x02 immediately when trying to connect to the device?

The error indicates communication loss with the device internal FPGA, probably this loses power.

Make sure there is no external circuit connected to the device that can cause high load.
Make sure the 5V AUX supply can provide 1-2A.

20 hours ago, attila said:

Are you always getting this ERC 0x02 immediately when trying to connect to the device?

The error indicates communication loss with the device internal FPGA, probably this loses power.

Make sure there is no external circuit connected to the device that can cause high load.
Make sure the 5V AUX supply can provide 1-2A.

My 5V supply is capable of outputting 3A. I have tried connecting again and it gives me "ERC 0x3E9 Device programming failed"

Hello everyone,

although this post is already quite old, i've got a very similar problem like James Cornell:

without any obvious change, the communication between Waveforms and AD 2 does not work anymore (ERC:2).
I've already tried to update/reinstall the USB-Driver, update the Waveforms, tested different Usb-cables, connected and disconnected AUX supply to the AD, connected it to another PC... Nothing helped so far, i receive a "Communication failed or iage device id is wrong" every time.

Does anybody have an idea how i can recover it?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes Lex

Hi @JoLe

Which WF version and operating system are you using?

Please try the "Force Programming", under Options or right-click.
This will bypass the "Communication error" and tries to continue with the device initialization.

image.png.9fb1618fc4c9ed72989e32a27d91cb1f.png

You could also try to reprogram the USB EEPROM.
In Device Manager hold down the Ctrl key until "My device is not listed" shows up and with this: press Find Device, make sure the proper device is selected and Program Device.

image.png.5c8304df8720b618872c0134970b8991.png

Let me know if these help.
If not, the device may be damaged.

Hello Attila,

thank you for your quick response!

I use the Waveforms Version 3.17. in Windows 10.
I tried the "force programming" as well as the reprogramming of EEPROM, both without success :/

The "Force Programming" prints the following message:

image.png.4077fee6e99dc34b4b76f39ad94c91f6.png

USB-EEPROM reprogramming performed:

image.png.a1229dfa28b1282ac1c42f86e86849ee.png

but when i try to connect afterwards, i receive the same message as before ("Communication failed or image device id is wrong. Revision: 0x2 Type: 0x1 Version: 0xA")

Is there a way to repair the device (by sending it to Digilent) or do i need a new one?

Hi @JoLe

It looks like the device is damaged.

For warranty and replacement contact the support.digilent at ni.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

I suspect the AD2/TDI_USB signal is constantly driven low by IC35. Probably this NC7SZ126 is damaged.
The version should be 0xE but it is masked to 0xA and reading 28Bytes passes (sending 0x1B) but reading 8Bytes fails (sending 0x7)