Acquisition of 2 analog signals / galvanically isolated operation / control of the Uart

Frank.Muenzner

Question

Hello I have some questions about the AnalogDiscovery2 , maybe they are very simple and unnecessary but I don't have the hardware due to supply shortages and wanted to clarify some issues in advance.

I hope the community can help me here

Thanks in advance for your support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. simultaneous acquisition of 2 analog signals:

I want to acquire 2 analog signals with Labview ( 2x > 8 MSPS). The continuous acquisition time should be at least 80ms.

I want to evaluate the acquired data in Labview.

Is this possible with the hardware and do the Labview drivers support this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. galvanic isolated operation

Since the voltages are "hot", i.e. have a potential reference, I plan to use a USB isolator when operating the Analog Discovery 2.

Does any of you have any experience here?

I have chosen the following USB isolators, but I don't know if they are suitable or what to consider when using the Analog Discovery 2 with a galvanically isolated USB

Manufacturer Intona ( https://intona.eu/de/products/buy/7055/7055-D )

Type 1: USB2

USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator, 5kV
Model 7055-B

Type 2:

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Isolator 5kV
Model 7055-D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Control of the Uart

Is it possible to use the Uart, if the Analog Discovery 2 has one in the FPGA block, to receive / send messages with 19.2 KBaud using Labview?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope someone can help me

Best regards,

Frank Münzner

6 answers to this question

Hi @Frank.Muenzner

1. The AD can capture 8-16k samples per channel at up to 100MHz, ~1ms at ~7.692MHz (100MHz/13). With the toolkit VIs 8k buffer is available.
With the WF SDK longer capture, recording can be performed at 1-2MHz, limited by USB 2 bandwidth.

2. The AD has USB 2 controller so it is suffice to use USB 2.0 isolator, it would not benefit from USB 3.0 speeds.
With simple USB 1 isolator is also working but the capture and recording rates will be limited to this speed.

3. The UART functions are available in the WF SDK, FDwfDigitalUart...
image.png

Hi @attila

Thanks for your answer.

At this time i can do some tests and i have some results and more questions.

Answers:

1. usb isolator

The intona usb3 isolator works fine - burt i need to use a usb hub beetween the AD2 and the isolated usb.

Other standard usb2 devices work without an issue on the intona isolator.

Could it be possible that something of transmission over usb is special?

Questions

2. If i try to get syncronus capture working ( possible with 1 Msps ?)  i dont't know which dll function should be used.

I try also to find something on forum - and i found "ad2ww  worked!.vi", i can start it but i dont see any values or curves, i try to understand but for this i need dll command reference.

I ask me where i could find dll command reference to understand the used dll function and it's parameters, where can i find a reference ?

3. is syncronus capture on both channels possible - how works the analog triigger?

Sorry for my eventually simple Questions, but i need some help to get my part work

2ADC_continous.vi

Hi Attila,

Thanks for your Answer and your Help.

Labview examples for SDK and DLL calling would be really interesting.

The attached vi is a  modified version of ad2ww  worked!.vi - i try to extend this version to analog trigger event as in the python analog Trigger example, but i was not sucessfull.

Eventual wrong number format was been used or something others.

Thatswhy  the additional extension from me was removed.

I have the requirements at this time to record 60ms.

Thank you very much,

best Regards,

Frank

38 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi @Frank.Muenzner

2. I'm working on implementing such recording for the VIs
Hope to give you a version with this in a few days.

Archived