What is the ideal way to insert the video to this card artix-7 100T CSG324?

amenah89

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi @amenah89,

I presume you are using the Nexys A7 board, https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/nexys-a7/start? This board does not have a dedicated video input so it will be difficult at best to receive and process video on it. The VGA port has a resistor ladder for each of the colors so while you could technically provide a video feed from an external source, you would be limited to 3 bit color, which I doubt you want.

There are a couple of potential alternatives with regards to providing a video feed to the Nexys A7. You could wire individual signals from a VGA source to the XADC connector (taking care to adjust the HSYNC and VSYNC voltage signals do not exceed the 1V limit on the XADC connector) and then use some fancy logic from the XADC to properly receive and interpret the signals.

You could also have a pre-recorded video on an SD card that you then read off of, but at that point you may as well take the pre-recorded video and use dedicated software on an external PC to process and otherwise edit the video.

Thanks,
JColvin

12 hours ago, JColvin said:

You could wire individual signals from a VGA source to the XADC connector (taking care to adjust the HSYNC and VSYNC voltage signals do not exceed the 1V limit on the XADC connector) and then use some fancy logic from the XADC to properly receive and interpret the signals

Hi,

maybe I'm missing something here but even a plain 640x480x60 VGA signal has a pixel clock of 25.175 MHz, against the XADC maximum sample rate (2 channels!) of 1 MHz?

20 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @amenah89,

I presume you are using the Nexys A7 board, https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/nexys-a7/start? This board does not have a dedicated video input so it will be difficult at best to receive and process video on it. The VGA port has a resistor ladder for each of the colors so while you could technically provide a video feed from an external source, you would be limited to 3 bit color, which I doubt you want.

There are a couple of potential alternatives with regards to providing a video feed to the Nexys A7. You could wire individual signals from a VGA source to the XADC connector (taking care to adjust the HSYNC and VSYNC voltage signals do not exceed the 1V limit on the XADC connector) and then use some fancy logic from the XADC to properly receive and interpret the signals.

You could also have a pre-recorded video on an SD card that you then read off of, but at that point you may as well take the pre-recorded video and use dedicated software on an external PC to process and otherwise edit the video.

Thanks,
JColvin

hi @

Thank you for responding to my question.
I'm new in fpga and I don't have experience in this field. 
You can help me with the following questions.
 which methods and programs are preferred to be used in the processing of the video after entering it to fpga 

1-system generator "co-simulator"  matlab program

2 -vivado program

Any help would be appreciated for that
+

hi @JColvin

Thank you for responding to my question.
I'm new in fpga and I don't have experience in this field. 
You can help me with the following questions.
 which methods and programs are preferred to be used in the processing of the video after entering it to fpga 

1-system generator "co-simulator"  matlab program

2 -vivado program

Any help would be appreciated for that

@amenah89,

FPGAs are not computers in general.  They don't run software, and so they aren't programmed.  They can be configured with a hardware design.  This is done using Vivado.  If your chosen hardware design uses a CPU, such as a MicroBlaze CPU, then you can program that CPU within your design.  This is now done with Vitis, not Vivado, but you will need a CPU design within your FPGA design to do it.  That said, CPU's are notoriously slow for processing video, so I don't think you would want to do that at all.

The first problem you need to solve is to answer the question of how you will get video into your FPGA board.  Which board do you have that has a video input signal to it?  That will help us get started.

If your board does not have video input hardware, I suppose you could do some creative board design and build one, but it would be beyond the scope of what I might be able to help with.  So, let me repeat the questions from above, which board are you using and how do you intend to get video into your board in the first place?  That will determine how to then answer the rest of your questions.

Dan

Archived