additional device configurations for memory allocation

Wayne Contello

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Attila,

I am revisiting this topic again.  My situation is that I am trying to capture both a single Scope channel (current) and several channels on the Logic Analyzer I2C (SCK and SDA) as well as a UART (TX from device).  I need high enough resolution that the protocol analyzer can parse the signals from the Logic analyzer and, at the same time, high enough resolution to see the current spike at the start and end of an operation.

The puts the configuration in conflict between the scope and the LA.

I would be very willing to trade memory space from other devices (wavegen or patterns) or give up channels on the LA.  From my previous exchange, I am not clear whether is is possible and undesirable for you and your team, or whether it is just not possible,

I can share a screenshot once I get set back up.  I should taken on yesterday where the scope was suggesting on configuration and the LA was suggesting another.

I was running on 3.16.13.

Wayne

These are intended as constructive criticism.  I appreciate this product and your efforts

PS.  I notice in the mac finder that the waveforms version is NOT shown in the get info window (select file, then use the Finder menu item "File > Get Info")

993036154_ScreenShot2021-03-04at07_43_53.thumb.png.e021ff5eeeb854116ca1ee3a0d91b1e7.png

PPS:  On the forum where you post the beta updates, the forum topic does not reflect when the last updates occur

1240418551_ScreenShot2021-03-04at07_45_57.png.c30640c5bb1f54a2fbe213eb5ff88e8d.png

And each entry in the post do not give a date, so it's hard to know when a post was made.  In addition, it is not clear to me that, for instance, the macOS X version gets all the feature you describe when only a windows version is released.

1214759509_ScreenShot2021-03-04at07_47_17.png.db42c20a3cd3874e48cec6bc696fc445.png

Hi @Wayne Contello

The recording in Logic Analyzer can use data compression, so it can capture at higher sample rate than the USB streaming would allow for raw data. The maximum rate depends on the signal activity, the average toggle rate should be max about 1MHz. pic 1

If you are interested in analog peaks you can use Min/Max sampling mode. pic 2
You can use Scope in mixed mode (with Logic Analyzer embedded) to capture or record data simultaneously. pic 2

You could perform normal capture in Scope at low rate and record at higher rate in Logic Analyzer. This to have more streaming bandwidth for digital data. The instruments can be synchronized with the triggers. pic 3

I could build a configuration with 8k scope and 16k logic buffer, but I don't think this would help you. 

image.png.9d692908765dc78836a97142c1ac0bd2.png

image.thumb.png.3f52349d3b0b29296a5e27ae8a62e571.png

image.thumb.png.2c66674b300f6c42b4a6b8574d45b849.png

The version info is not added to macOS app. I'll have to write a script to add this to Info.plist
For now it can be seen in the Help/About or in the status bar of newer beta version.

The beta forum post is not the most sophisticated solution. The Edited label at the end of the post indicates the last version release.
I will add date note from now on.
You can use the Help/Check for Update or Settings/Options/Application/Update rate
image.png.20b0598894db93310d770d7f935100b1.png

Thank you for the observations.

9 minutes ago, attila said:

I could build a configuration with 8k scope and 16k logic buffer, but I don't think this would help you

I think it would because the USB has a 1ms duration between data packets.  So the buffers must be large enough to hold the data until the next 1ms interval where data can be emptied.  Maybe that is too high level.  I would totally be willing to test for you.  I don't know if the added configuration is a lot of work.  If it is a lot then I would agree not worth effort.

Archived