softwareserial compile errors - all ChipKit boards

Aaron

Question

Hello,

I have a compile error with the SoftwareSerial library included in ChipKit-core 1.1.0.-18 (the latest released build for manual install at this time). I need the SoftwareSerial.h library for several external devices, but it will not compile the headers on ChipKit boards. I am able to build against the Arduino and Adafruit boards, but all of the Cerebot and ChipKit boards exhibit the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

Environment:

• Arduino IDE 1.6.8
  • ChipKit-core 1.1.0-18 (latest release build manually installed, also exposed error in 1.1.0.-13))
  • uC32 (but tested on other Arduino, Adafruit, and ChipKit platforms)

The code to reproduce for me is very simple:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Just including the SoftwareSerial.h library and selecting any ChipKit device gives these errors:

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 8.1), Board: "chipKIT uC32"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -hardware

[Lots of successful file builds]

IC:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\cores\pic32" "-IC:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\variants\uC32" "-IC:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial" "C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Temp\buildf71554d8a69c5d822f0c8bd06bd78dc0.tmp\sketch\SoftwareSerialExample.ino.cpp" -o "C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Temp\buildf71554d8a69c5d822f0c8bd06bd78dc0.tmp\sketch\SoftwareSerialExample.ino.cpp.o"
In file included from C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial\examples\SoftwareSerialExample\SoftwareSerialExample.ino:20:0:

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:68:16: error: '_IOPORT_PC' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(14), _IOPORT_PC}, // CN0  - RC14

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:69:16: error: '_IOPORT_PC' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(13), _IOPORT_PC}, // CN1  - RC13

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:70:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 0), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN2  - RB0

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:71:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 1), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN3  - RB1

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:72:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 2), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN4  - RB2

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:73:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 3), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN5  - RB3

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:74:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 4), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN6  - RB4

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:75:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 5), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN7  - RB5

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:76:16: error: '_IOPORT_PG' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 6), _IOPORT_PG}, // CN8  - RG6

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:77:16: error: '_IOPORT_PG' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 7), _IOPORT_PG}, // CN9  - RG7

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:78:16: error: '_IOPORT_PG' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 8), _IOPORT_PG}, // CN10 - RG8

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:79:16: error: '_IOPORT_PG' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 9), _IOPORT_PG}, // CN11 - RG9

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:80:16: error: '_IOPORT_PB' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(15), _IOPORT_PB}, // CN12 - RB15

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:81:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 4), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN13 - RD4

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:82:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 5), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN14 - RD5

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:83:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 6), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN15 - RD6

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:84:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 7), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN16 - RD7

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:85:16: error: '_IOPORT_PF' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 4), _IOPORT_PF}, // CN17 - RF4

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:86:16: error: '_IOPORT_PF' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV( 5), _IOPORT_PF}, // CN18 - RF5

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:87:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(13), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN19 - RD13

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:88:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(14), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN20 - RD14

^

C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h:89:16: error: '_IOPORT_PD' was not declared in this scope

{ _BV(15), _IOPORT_PD}, // CN21 - RD15

^

Using library SoftwareSerial in folder: C:\Users\Aaron\Documents\Arduino\hardware\chipkit-core\pic32\libraries\SoftwareSerial (legacy)
exit status 255
Error compiling for board chipKIT uC32.

So, what's broken? I've :

1. Tested on two different PCs (windows 7 & windows 8.1)
  2. Tried two manually installed release versions of ChipKit-core
  3. Compiled on other platforms with complete success (using their libraries)

What should be done next?

3 answers to this question

Hi Aaron,

I'm getting the same errors that you are receiving when I'm using chipKIT core on the Arduino IDE and select any "chipKIT" board. But the same sketches on MPIDE or selecting an Arduino based board on the Arduino IDE compile just fine as you found.

I tried playing around with the library figuring there was just some sort of file that needed to be explicitly included, but with no success. I looked at the GitHub for chipKIT core and apparently the SoftwareSerial library should work properly (as per here). However, this does not appear to be the case, so I suppose the next approach would be to notify the chipKIT community (it's separate from Digilent, we just manufacture the boards) that the SoftwareSerial library does not successfully compile on the Arduino 1.6.8 IDE via submitting an issue on their github or website. I can do this if you would like me to, or you could do it if you wanted.

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin,

Thank you for checking in on my compiling issues. I have posted this question to the ChipKit forums to see if someone has a fix or they can generate a bug report for however they track these kinds of things.

- Aaron

Archived