Digilent's Forum Website is Problematic

zygot

It used to be that you could choose to read posts to a question in chronological order and understand how the discussion evolved. Context, after all, is vital to understanding content. Frankly, I've always found it to be disturbing that a third party could alter the context and misrepresent the content by shuffling the order of how posts are displayed to skew the messaging. I understand that it's your website but in a real sense it's not your forum; it's the user's forum.

If you can't do the right thing and simply display comments in chronological order, then at least go back to allowing the user the courtesy of having the option to do so and follow the thread of discussion. You can always impose some sort of added bias in the form of stars or check-marks to sway viewers opinions of what they are reading toward what you prefer... if you must.

The current presentation is untenable in my opinion, and reflects poorly on your company. It certainly doesn't encourage participation to those posting answers only to find that the context, and hence substance, of the posts have been altered.

Hi @zygot,

I must confess that I confused by this. You can still sort the posts by date by choosing the appropriate button on the right hand side of the page just beneath the original question.

The frustrating bit is that the default sorting is by "votes" and when we contacted the makers of the forum software about being able to set the Sort by Date as the default option for threads, they told us that this feature is not available (which I feel is ridiculous but my feelings clearly haven't gotten any change to happen). The options that I have to change this are to make it discussion based like this subforum (Suggestions and Feedback) or to make it question and answer based where a best answer can be selected (albeit at the cost of then getting upvoting of responses being put at the top by default).

Thanks,
JColvin

forum categories setting.PNG

16 minutes ago, JColvin said:

You can still sort the posts by date by choosing the appropriate button on the right hand side of the page just beneath the original question.

That's how I remember it being in the past. Perhaps this is browser related. I use Firefox. I certainly don't see any options for sorting post replies as I look at my post above.

I am also on Firefox. There will not be any sorting options for this post (as it is part of the General Discussion section) but you can see them for any of the threads within the Technical Discussion forum: https://forum.digilentinc.com/forum/3-digilent-technical-forums/, including the one regarding the Xilinx install problems we were both commenting on today.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived