Problems with Petalinux and rootfs

Clyde

Question

All,

I am building my linux image for the Zedboard and it all goes along swimmingly until the very end when it dies with the rootfs.   The message I get is The postinstall intercept hook 'update_font_cache' failed.  This is the only error in the whole process.

One other concern I have, is in watching the build happen, I see what looks like files associated with Vivado 19.2 being used.  My build was created with 17.4.  However, none of these files being grabbed from the Yocto project throw any errors.

Any hints here?   BTW, I don't want to move up to 19.2 at this time.

Clyde

9 answers to this question

My build

What are you referring to?
yocto build, petalinux build or vivado build?

linux image for the Zedboard

Again what tool are you using ?
yocto, petalinux, buildroot, no tool (manual), others ?

My first guess is to check build logs.

You are cryptic about what you are doing.
I see a dog barking like a Cat that looks like a bird. I do not want the bird to be light just heavy dark. :) You get what I mean.
Please be more specific. There are to many moving parts to follow correctly and not wrongly assume that I have understood the issue.

For example: petalinux uses yocto internally there is also Vivado exported hardware: hdf/xsa that is used by petailunx/yocto that can have a different version than that of yocto | petaliunx.

If you are using yocto which task for rootfs recipe is failing?
Also what image you are trying to build petalinu-image-minimal or some other non xilinx related image like core-image-minimal?

Take time and attach logs if necessary.

Sorry, I will rephrase my question with much more detail and clarity, but for now, one thing that I don't understand is Petalinux seems to be grabbing Yocto files in the build that go with a later version of Vivado.  That is, from 2019.2 when I am using 2017.4.   Again, I will will spell out exactly what I am doing and where it falls apart.  So much is right... it just dies at the very end of the build, so, I am very close and I have a whole lot correct.

What version for petaliunx is in .petalinux/metadata ?

Try `petalinux-build -x mrproper` to do cleanup before rebuilding.

Did you pull any changes from 2019.2 in meta-user or other meta-* layers?
Did you made any changes to /petalinux/install/directory/ ?

Hi,

Thank you for the pointed questions.  I think they are on target and will help me move forward.  Sorry for the delay in my answer as I have been busy with other Zynq stuff.

First, I cannot find the  folder .petalinux/metadata.   I looked in "my computer" and turned on hidden folders, but I am clearly not looking in the right place.  So I don't know what version for petalinux is in that folder.  When I downloaded the distribution, and that was a few months ago, I likely chose the latest version, guess is 2019.2. I have since read that it makes sense to use the version which goes with the version of Vivado you are using, so, how do I get the proper version of the distribution for Vivado 2017.4 and get it in the right place?

I mostly used UG980 to get me started with the Petalinux build.  I found it confusing as  to what directories were in play where.  When I figured this all out, I made a shell script so I don't have to remember the commands.  In that script, I delete the folder that is is being used to build linux in, so, build -x mrproper probably does not help.  There are no old files lying around.  I start fresh every time. I tried it anyway.

I did not make any changes to the petalinux install directory.  I am not that smart.  I believe this should mostly work out of the box without futzing around with the petalinux install.  

I believe my problem is the wrong version of the distribution, but as stated above,  verifying this and fixing it is where I think I am stuck.

It mostly builds but fails at the end.  Attached is a screenshot of the build error message.

Thank you for your time and kind assistance.

Clyde

PetalinxFail.png

Hi,

Thank you for the pointed questions.  I think they are on target and will help me move forward.  Sorry for the delay in my answer as I have been busy with other Zynq stuff.

First, I cannot find the  folder .petalinux/metadata.   I looked in "my computer" and turned on hidden folders, but I am clearly not looking in the right place.  So I don't know what version for petalinux is in that folder.  When I downloaded the distribution, and that was a few months ago, I likely chose the latest version, guess is 2019.2. I have since read that it makes sense to use the version which goes with the version of Vivado you are using, so, how do I get the proper version of the distribution for Vivado 2017.4 and get it in the right place?

I mostly used UG980 to get me started with the Petalinux build.  I found it confusing as  to what directories were in play where.  When I figured this all out, I made a shell script so I don't have to remember the commands.  In that script, I delete the folder that is is being used to build linux in, so, build -x mrproper probably does not help.  There are no old files lying around.  I start fresh every time. I tried it anyway.

I did not make any changes to the petalinux install directory.  I am not that smart.  I believe this should mostly work out of the box without futzing around with the petalinux install.  

I believe my problem is the wrong version of the distribution, but as stated above,  verifying this and fixing it is where I think I am stuck.

It mostly builds but fails at the end.  Attached is a screenshot of the build error message.

Thank you for your time and kind assistance.

Clyde

The last post was sitting in my browser... and not posted until just now.  

I have a fresh copy of UG1144 for 2017.4.  I read on the internet that in order to tell what version of Petalinux you have installed, to issue this command cat $PETALINUX/.version_log

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/379242/how-to-know-the-petalinux-version

and it says I have 2019.2, which is not what I desire.  So, I am going to try a new, fresh  install.  I have verified the installation requirements are met.

Clyde

Hi,  I installed the version for 2017.4, and that install had a failure, but completed.   The failure was not due to dependencies.  Petalinux would run, but during the project build it had what appeared to be internal software errors.  Clyde

Archived