Arty-z7-20 no processor available in Vitis

ellifant

Question

Hi,

I asked this on the Xilinx forums too, but so far no one has answered. Maybe someone here can help.

I bought a arty-7z-20, so I could learn more about FPGA's. I downloaded Vitis+Vivado 2020.1, and followed some tutorials (for example this one https://nuclearrambo.com/wordpress/programming-the-zynq-7000-with-vivado-2019-2-and-vitis/) but they all have the same basic steps. The Vivado side is clear, I can generate a bitstream and export it to a board. I can also create the HDL wrapper, and export the xsa file.

But now when I open Vitis, I should create a new platform project, or create a new application project depending on the tutorial I'm following. But in both I import the xsa file which was created using Vivado. Now when I try to create the project and 'create a new platform from hardware', then select the generated xsa file, it always take about 10-15 minutes saying 'reading hardware specification', then fails saying I need to select the processor type. But there are no processors available.

How can I add processors to the list? Do I need to download more files somewhere?

I've tried this on Win10, and also Linux. Both the same result. So it's probably just something I've done, but I don't know. I'm a bit lost now.

Any hints or tips? Thanks!

2020-07-14 10_55_17-New folder - Vitis IDE.png

2020-07-14 11_09_22-New folder - Vitis IDE.png

1 answer to this question

Hi @ellifant,

I apologize for the long delay.

Could you attach a picture of your block design? Or I guess more specifically (presuming you added a Zynq block to your design) did you apply the presets for the IP that are part of the Digilent board files?

After choosing your created .xsa file in the first screenshot, do you choose 'Next' or 'Finish'?

And I hate to point to yet another tutorial, but Digilent does have it's own tutorial (https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/2020.1/getting-started-with-ipi) for getting Vitis up and running with our boards; perhaps there is something in there that wasn't part of the other resources you looked at.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived