Basys 3 Not Showing Up in the Hardware Manager Of Win7

Sofinae

Question

Hi Guys 

I am trying to communicate with my Basys 3 board using USB-UART Bridge (Serial Port) and TeraTerm software but with no success. the weird part is that my device is recognizable by the Hardware Manager of Vivado and i can send the bitstream file successufly to program my FPGA but it is not showing up in the Hardware Manager of Win7 as seen in the attached cut out, so i dont know which COM Port is connetected to (if that's the case ) to be able to communicate with my board serially. I tried installing FTDI FT2232HQ USB-UART bridge driver from www.ftdichip.com but didn't solve my problem. 

I will be more than grateful if you could help me sort this problem out 

Regards,

Capture.PNG

4 answers to this question

Hi @Sofinae,

I apologize for the delay.

The easiest way to figure out what COM port the Basys 3 is attached to would be to have the Windows Device Manager open to the page that you show and then either connect or disconnect the Basys 3 to see which port either appears or disappears (as appropriate to the action taken). A Basys 3 should also appear under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers dropdown as "USB Serial Converter" (or "USB Serial Converter A").

I imagine the cable drivers are installed since you are able to successfully load a bitstream onto the board.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 7/22/2020 at 6:23 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Sofinae,

The easiest way to figure out what COM port the Basys 3 is attached to would be to have the Windows Device Manager open to the page that you show and then either connect or disconnect the Basys 3 to see which port either appears or disappears (as appropriate to the action taken). A Basys 3 should also appear under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers dropdown as "USB Serial Converter" (or "USB Serial Converter A").

I imagine the cable drivers are installed since you are able to successfully load a bitstream onto the board.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks @JColvin for your reply, the problem was due to a serial communication software i installed before for a diffrent equipement. Unfortunately i had to reinstall my Win7  for the problem to be soved, now everything is working fine and i created a restore point to prevent reinstalling Win7 in the future in case a simmilar problem occurs 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Sofinae,

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Mr Colvin,

I am having the same issue as the original question, except I am using windows 10. When I connect my Basys3 to my computer, it is not picked up on device manager nor vivado. When I try locating the board on device manager, the trick you provided does not work. When I connect the board to my computer, the lights turn on indicating that it is at least powered up, that is the only feedback I have that the board is connected to the computer. 

Hi @dannydr12,

As a confirmation check since it's not explicitly stated in this forum thread, have you tried a different USB cable (since some cables only do charging/power)? I'm presuming you installed the cable drivers as part of the Vivado installation, though re-installing them would not likely help if the board isn't showing up anywhere in the Device Manager (you can tell if it showed up at all if the Device Manager refreshes it's list upon plugging/unplugging the Basys 3 since that will mean Windows detected that something changed).

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived