Ondrej

Question

Hello,

i cannot find a way how to count (digital) input pulses in WaveForms (+Analog Discovery 2).

If it is not possible, I would suggest to include a new "instrument- Counter". I believe it would be very useful.

Thank You for comments.

Yours Sincerely

Ondrej Pokorny

11 answers to this question

Hello Attila,

yes, i know, but this would only count pulses in current capture. I mean something like real counter, e.g. totalizer that could be triggered on some event and when it is running, it keeps counting edges/pulses,....

I would appreciate it in my work very much since we are developpers of devices that count pulses from gasmeters. Today I use Analog Discovery 2 + Agilent counter, but it would be cool to have it all-in-one.

Best Regards

O.Pokorny 

Hello,

i do not think so. I mean something like real counter. Real-life example:

I want to test our device. I connect it to the pulse source (like gasmeter) in parallel with AnalogDiscovery2. The gasmeter is generating pulses. I go home and in the morning I would like to  see the same totalizer values both on AnalogDiscovery2 and our device.

I think Your example would trigger reading of digital channel after 10k counts on DIO0.

Best Regards

Ondrej

Hello Attila,

yes that would do the job (I have to remember subtract one from the totalizer though). But still I have such a feeling this is just emulation of counter by means of Logic analyzers Trigger.  According to WaveForms concept (set of laboratory devices in one software), i would suggest to add counter among devices in Welcome window.

Thank You for the solution anyway.

Have a nice day!

Ondrej

Sorry to bring up an old thread..   but is using the Logic tool still the preferred way to count edge?

There doesn't seem to be a specific Counter tool, but have the need to count non-TTL pulses (+/10V).   I could wire up something to bring the voltage level down to 0-3.3v in order to feed to one of the DIO inputs, but would prefer not to if there's a better way.