Can't program Arty A7 Quad SPI Flash

macethorpe

Question

Folks,

I am following the arty programming guide to program an Arty A7 using the quad SPI flash. 

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/arty-programming-guide/start

The guide shows a project settings/bitstream dialog allowing you to turn on -bin_file when generating the bitstream.  My version of Vivado does not have checkboxes on this dialog, so I can't seem to turn it on.  Any advice?

Thanks

arty.PNG

9 answers to this question

Yes, everything else works.   I think the option you mention was the checkbox shown in the tutorial for the "-bin_file" option associated with "write_bitstream".  The GUI of Vivado has changed, but the only similar thing I can find is in project manager/settings/bitstream.  "-bin_file" option is there, but there is no button or checkbox.  See attached image in the original post.

@macethorpe,

Exactly!  Although I wouldn't reinstall Vivado, personally.  I think you'd be spinning your wheels to do so.  I've been disappointed before to notice that some menu options become available depending upon what mode of the design process you are in.  You might want to check both pre and post implementation.

One correction to my comment above--I see all the options before ever running synthesis, not after. I got there by right-clicking "Generate Bitstream" and then working through the options presented there.

Incidentally, it's really easy to convert a .bit file to a .bin file--you just through away the header of the .bit file.  I think it's about 36 bytes if I recall properly.  It's usually pretty obvious upon inspection.

Dan

D@n, thanks for the help, it turned out to be really stupid - the dialog wasn't big enough to render the check boxes (although it certainly looked like it had enough room).  I stretched it way out and they magically appeared.  Probably due to my hires screen and java not playing nicely.

Another interesting thing along the way - there is a way to export a TCL script that supposedly builds the project.  The options are all available in that script for tweaking, but not needed now.

As you say, it also would have been straightforward to edit the .bit files.  There is a string of FFs near the beginning.  Everything before that is header.

Thanks again, you saved me a lot of frustration.

Archived