How does the Scope: Audio window work?

RF68UF

Question

I thought this would be easy, but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

I want students in my electronic circuits labs to play audio files and/or WaveGen outputs through analog audio gizmos (filters, guitar pedals, etc.) and hear the results of changing settings in real time on their computers using their AD2’s.

We have the WaveGen/audio files part figured out. But we don’t understand some of the settings for the Scope: View > Audio window. We understand Mode, Left, Right, Volume, and Output. But how do Speed, Rate and Tempo work? How do they interact with the Time Base, Averaging, Rate, Samples, and Oversampling controls?

5 answers to this question

Hi @RF68UF

The Rate is the sample rate at which the channel data is played back on the computers audio output.

The Speed is the ration between playback and capture rates = audio Rate / capture Rate (with Tempo 1x)

The Tempo lets you skip capture samples. This is useful in case you capture (record) at high frequency, since the computer audio usually tops at 192kHz. For instance, if you capture at 1MHz with Tempo 10x will playback only every 10th samples, so with 100kHz you can play back at normal (1X) Speed.
Speed = audio Rate / ( capture rate / Tempo )

If you want to continuously play back the capture data use Speed 1X and scan Screen.

image.thumb.png.5344ee9d46bb21dca67cd120a08be453.png

Archived