CortexM3 on Arty100 Board

newkid_old

Question

I have downloaded the Arm CortexM3 package and have followed the steps for Vivado 20 and Vitis to recognize the repository.  I'm able to generate a bitstream from Vivado but when I get to Vitis and create the Platform Project I get this error:

I have found a post on the Xilinx forums where this was a known problem in Vivado 19.2 so I installed the newest version 20 and still have the same issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

error.JPG

6 answers to this question

When I use the Microblaze and do not have an AXI Timer and AXI UART the Vitis platform tool gives me the same error.  I created a simple ARM, block, AXI UART, and AXI timer and getting the same error you are.  (I'm stumped)   I'm using an M1.

Here is my dump IDE.log:

23:05:00 ERROR : (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1545] Problem running tcl command ::sw_standalone_v7_2::generate : ERROR: processor CORTEXM1_AXI is not supported
    while executing
"error "ERROR: processor $proctype is not supported""
    (procedure "::sw_standalone_v7_2::generate" line 354)
    invoked from within
"::sw_standalone_v7_2::generate standalone"
ERROR: [Hsi 55-1442] Error(s) while running TCL procedure generate()

I think the issue is with Vitis, if you look at the ARM_sw_repository there is two targets standalone_v6_6 and  and 6.7.  But vitis is trying v7_2 

I added to the Xilinx forum.  https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vitis-Acceleration-SDAccel-SDSoC/vitis-M1-standalone-a7/m-p/1043215/highlight/false#M3834

I think the issue issue is must use 18.2 vivado and SDK.

@newkid_old, @tcmichals,

There is no ARM processor on the Artix-7.

The ARM processor is a piece of physical real-estate that is present within a Zynq FPGA, but not within an Artix-7 FPGA.  The Arty-A7 boards are built around the Artix-A7 FPGA's, and so the processor isn't present to be configured in the first place.

The ARM processor is very different from a MicroBlaze processor.  The MicroBlaze processor may be built out of the fabric of an FPGA--out of look-up-tables and flip-flops.  Unlike MicroBlaze, the ARM processor is built onto the chip itself--if it is present at all.  It shouldn't therefore surprise you if the tool can't allocate a (non-existent) ARM processor on your chip to fill the requirement you've created for it within your design.  It's simply not present.

Dan

Dan,

ARM offers Cortex M1 and M3 as soft-core for Xlinix and Gowin FPGAs.  Please see the following links:

- DesignStart and Xilinx 

- Example on Hackster

The current issue is with Vitis 2020   Was able to create a design and bit-stream with Vivado.  The issue is creating a Platform using the canned GUI in Vitis.  I'm thinking of creating a platform files and creating directory with  v7_2 and see if that works. 

Archived