Chipscope debug to Arty Board Artix-7 FPGA Development Board

NelsonWee88

Question

Hello to whom it may concern. Would like to know possible to use xilinx chipscope with Arty Board Artix-7 FPGA Development Board for debug logic signal ? If so how is it connected ? Or use existing arty board USB-JTAG Programming circuitry and use with chipscope tools ?

Would like to port openrisc  to Arty Board Artix-7 FPGA Development Board ? Any resource on it ?

Thx and Regards.

3 answers to this question

You can find most of the OpenRISC team available on the #openrisc IRC channel at freenode.  They should be able to help you with the port.  I personally can't speak for OpenRISC, although I have ported the ZipCPU to both the Basys-3 and the CMod-S6 boards.

As for the Xilinx chipscope, I've never used it so I'm not sure I can help you much there.  (I've used a Wishbone Scope instead, but that requires a lot more setup to be able to use successfully ... in particular, you need a working wishbone bus and a means to communicate from that bus to wherever you wish to examine the data.)

Yours,

Dan

Nelson,

On your behalf, I asked about the OpenRISC group about the Arty for you.  [wallento] is currently porting OpenRISC to the Arty.  You are welcome to contact him at stefan [-at-] wallentowitz.de to get his current status, or hear about what he was able to accomplish upon completion.

Yours,

Dan

Hi Nelson,

The Xilinx ChipScope only works with Xilinx ISE which cannot target the Artix 7 present on the Arty. 

However, with the new editions (2015.4 and newer) of Vivado (which can target Arty), you can use the Logic Analyzer that comes with the Vivado Webpack edition for free; the Logic Analyzer is (essentially) Vivado's version of ChipScope and is more user friendly to use, so I would definitely check that out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived