Zybo lwIP Echo says ethernet link up and down repeatedly

laurent01

Question

Hi.

I have a problem while trying lwIP Echo server wiht Zybo-Z7

I follow this tutorial faithfully https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-getting-started-with-zynq-server/start

but I face with a problem

image.png.67a740b96fb6bab18e0faf19f64b9bd5.png

This problem occurs for both connection through router and connection directly with my laptop or desktop

I try with 3 PC and all of it shows same result.

Google suggest me to configure ethernet to be 100Mbps half duplex with Fixed IP settings and it doesn't work.

I double-check that I'm using correct MIO pin and fix the 100Mbps at SDK.

Is there any solution to resolve this problem?

Thank you.

14 answers to this question

It could be the same problem I had on my Genesys 2 board, as both seem to use the same PHY chip. Symptoms are identical to mine when I checked it for the last time. I was proposed a solution, but I didn't try it yet because I was occupied by other projects: 

You might want to give it a try to see if it works for you. Though if I my memory serves me, there are separate source files for Zynq's ARM PS and for Microblaze CPUs, even though their contents are for the most part identical.

Hi @laurent01,

I got it working successfully with lwip on a Zybo Z7-10 on both 2019.1 and 2019.2. The change that I needed to make was leaving the temac adapter settings at auto negotiate (the default); it would then settle at a PHY speed at 1000 and work as advertised. I did not have to make the change that @asmi referenced, though I will be testing microblaze systems next to see if they need it.

Oddly and for reasons I did not understand, setting the PHY speed specifically to 1000 rather than leaving on auto-negotiate does not work; I just kept continually getting the repeated Ethernet up, Ethernet down message. Since my board is directly connected to my laptop, I did need to use the static IP address. I recall while at work when I connected to an Ethernet switch that I do not need to set a static IP address.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

4 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @laurent01,

I got it working successfully with lwip on a Zybo Z7-10 on both 2019.1 and 2019.2. The change that I needed to make was leaving the temac adapter settings at auto negotiate (the default); it would then settle at a PHY speed at 1000 and work as advertised. I did not have to make the change that @asmi referenced, though I will be testing microblaze systems next to see if they need it.

Oddly and for reasons I did not understand, setting the PHY speed specifically to 1000 rather than leaving on auto-negotiate does not work; I just kept continually getting the repeated Ethernet up, Ethernet down message. Since my board is directly connected to my laptop, I did need to use the static IP address. I recall while at work when I connected to an Ethernet switch that I do not need to set a static IP address.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Colvin.

Thanks to you, I resolve the problem above.

It seems that the server is well established.

However, I cannot connect to the server even if I use fixed IP Settings given that I have no router.

Can you help me?

Thank you so much.

Hi @laurent01,

You do not need to be directly connected a router or ethernet switch if you are connected to the Zybo Z7 board via an Ethernet cable; I was not directly connected to a router (only connected via WiFi) when I tested this. Xilinx's lwip example assigns itself it's own IP address (by default 192.168.1.10). Giving yourself a fixed IP (shown in steps 12.1 through 12.2.5 of the Getting Started with Zynq Server tutorial) will let you be on the same IP range as the Zybo Z7.

After you have gotten to the point where your serial terminal has reported the IP address of the Zybo Z7 and the port it is operating on, you can connect to to that particular IP address through a new telnet connection on port 7 (shown on step 12.3).

The catch is if your internet connection your computer is using already uses the 192.168.1.X address space, because those particular IP addresses might already be taken. You can find out if you are already on that IP address range by (presuming you are on a Windows system) opening up the command prompt and running the command ipconfig. However your computer is connected to the network (usually WiFi or Ethernet) will list it's assigned IP address (you'll look for the IPv4 address). If the first 3 octets listed match 192.168.1, I can give you some further instructions on things to try.

Thanks,
JColvin

7 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @laurent01,

You do not need to be directly connected a router or ethernet switch if you are connected to the Zybo Z7 board via an Ethernet cable; I was not directly connected to a router (only connected via WiFi) when I tested this. Xilinx's lwip example assigns itself it's own IP address (by default 192.168.1.10). Giving yourself a fixed IP (shown in steps 12.1 through 12.2.5 of the Getting Started with Zynq Server tutorial) will let you be on the same IP range as the Zybo Z7.

After you have gotten to the point where your serial terminal has reported the IP address of the Zybo Z7 and the port it is operating on, you can connect to to that particular IP address through a new telnet connection on port 7 (shown on step 12.3).

The catch is if your internet connection your computer is using already uses the 192.168.1.X address space, because those particular IP addresses might already be taken. You can find out if you are already on that IP address range by (presuming you are on a Windows system) opening up the command prompt and running the command ipconfig. However your computer is connected to the network (usually WiFi or Ethernet) will list it's assigned IP address (you'll look for the IPv4 address). If the first 3 octets listed match 192.168.1, I can give you some further instructions on things to try.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Colvin.

As you said, I connect zybo with an ethernet cable. 

I check my zybo operates server with IP 192.168.1.10

And by tera term, I try to connect 192.168.1.10 with telnet at port 7.

Even if I double check I assign fixed IP address to use same address range at network and share center and by ipconfig command,

Tera term doesn't respond and I can't type anything.

And please note that I use Desktop which doesn't have WiFi, so I only have connection with zybo.

Can you help me?

Thank you so much colvin.

I really appreciate your help.

image.thumb.png.2c8b53882ad1ee9f181c229c26269d02.png

Hi @laurent01,

All of your screen captures look correct; if your desktop is connected to ethernet only and you instead connect it to the Zybo Z7-10, you are correct that you don't have to make additional changes.

Does your connection to 192.168.1.10 on Tera Term via port 7 time out on you (i.e. Tera Term attempts to connect to it and then gives a pop-up saying it failed to connect)? Your image shows that it is connected. Are you not able to type into that Window and see the output after hitting the enter button?

Thanks,
JColvin

4 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @laurent01,

All of your screen captures look correct; if your desktop is connected to ethernet only and you instead connect it to the Zybo Z7-10, you are correct that you don't have to make additional changes.

Does your connection to 192.168.1.10 on Tera Term via port 7 time out on you (i.e. Tera Term attempts to connect to it and then gives a pop-up saying it failed to connect)? Your image shows that it is connected. Are you not able to type into that Window and see the output after hitting the enter button?

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes I connect to 192.168.1.10 via port 7 with Telnet Protocol. But I cannot type anything and I cannot see the output.

Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @laurent01,

I apologize for the delay. What are the terminal settings that you have under Setup->Terminal?

Thank you,
JColvin

image.png.a6f9eb2c8514cc05a108fe410ff95c2c.png

Hi Colvin,

Here is my settings.

And I think firewall might be the problem and I will try to resolve it as soon as the exam finished :D

Thank you for reading and answering my questions.

Thank you Colvin.

Archived