Digital Discovery - DptiIO failed ERC: 0x2

alexplcguy

Question

We are intermittently getting this fault (very infrequently). It is brief and can be reset immediately. We are running the device continuously and are kinda reliant on its operation. 

We are pulling close to 400mA on the device.

We have upgraded to an externally powered USB Hub. We have used a USB-Y connector. We have increased the gauge of wire supplying the power to the Hub. It seems like this effort has helped in reducing the occurrence but has not removed it. 

Is there a way to capture and retain peak current through one of these events?

Is this issue due strictly to power or is it communication related? if it is comm related, can we simply load the pattern and logic onto the unit and disconnect from it (allowing it to run independently)?

We are also considering using the AD2 board to replace this digital board as it has an external power hook-up and may help remove a few variables. We already use these for their scope capabilities (not logic) and it has worked fine. Are the AD2 boards as precise in PWM timing as the DD boards are?

22 answers to this question

Hi @alexplcguy

Are you using the DD with a computer?
Such errors use to appear with RaspberryPi4 with AD1,2 DD. Due to some FTDI driver/kernel issues.
Sudden disconnects or power loss should give other errors.

The Pattern Generator features of AD and DD are identical, except the DD has more buffer for custom pattern and ROM logic.
On the hardware side the DIOs drivers are a bit different. On the DD the IO voltage/threshold, drive strength and slew rates are adjustable, it has level shifter to interface with 5V signals.
This should however not influence the PWM timings.

I am providing as much detail as I can third-hand. 

We are using a computer. Specifically some rev of RedHat. Do you suspect there may be kernel issues there too? 

What we have observed is that when the error message comes up, everything continues to run as normal until we hit the "OK" button.

963205578_2020-05-2813_57_47-MicrosoftTeams.png.0e0f8dd44d44143b02b344cf1574cc30.png

We updated the Waveforms Software and the Adept 2 to latest versions and we continue to see the issue.

We noticed the following from the Waveforms Application:

• The acquisition state changed to Error.
  • Status change to OC.
  • DptilO failed: ERC: 0x2
  • During running mode: Current is ~250 mA.

We have multiple USB devices (Analog Discovery 2, Digital Discovery Board and others) connected to this computer running RHEL.

We have pattern and a logic settings running in the DD.

DptilO failed ERC 0x2.png

@attila I'm unaware of any issues of this sort on i386/x86_64 desktop Linux.

@MarceloNotThePLCguy We should check and see if there's more than one version of libftd2xx installed on your system. Can you please execute the following command and see how many items are listed?

/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libftd2xx.so

Can you tell me exactly which version of Redhat it is and the architecture?

Thanks,
Michael

@MarceloNotThePLCguy I was expecting the output to show libftd2xx under an "adept" sub directory. Since it's showing it under "/lib64" that means the version that's being loaded isn't the version that we distribute with the Adept Runtime and could be an older version than the one we include (1.4.8). You could try downloading 1.4.8 from FTDI's website and replacing the library in "/lib64" with it to see if that makes any difference.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX/Linux/libftd2xx-x86_64-1.4.8.gz

If this is an intermittent issue that only occurs after several hours or days of usage then it may be similar to Raspberry Pi 4 driver. If that's the case then we don't have a solution at this point in time. We are still trying to figure out a good way to replicate it and capture the behavior in a log.

Thank You! @attila

We did tried the updated and reserved (downgrade) it because of this devices were not appearing on the device manager.

Do we need to reboot the PC after installed so the devices appear on the device manager?

Should we perform a device fix? I tried it and device was not showing after device fix...

Is there a way to open the Device fix, even with the devices detected?

Any recommendations ...

device issues.png

Was having this problem with increasing frequency on Ubuntu 20.04 (seemed to happen every 10-15 minutes during the worst of it...).

Apparently I was long overdue for an update. Just bumped Adept from 2.20.1 to 2.21.3 and Waveforms from 3.12.2 to 3.16.3, and so far this seems to have fixed the issue for me! Thanks for the great products and support.