FPGA and ARM MCU Programming With JTAG-SMT3-NC Module

ahmetnc

Question

Dear friends,

We have intended to use the JTAG-SMT3-NC module for both FPGA and ARM MCU programming.   

Our planned configuration is channel A for FPGA programming and channel B for ARM MCU programming. 

Do you please notify us if we are capable to perform the above work or not? 

Also, can we configure as JTAG the both channels (A and B)of the JTAG-SMT3-NC module with  FT_PROG software.

If not, please advise the solution. Also you can submit your tender to eliminate this difficulty. 

Attached please find the our working configuration. 

Wait for your response.

Sincerely yours,

2020-04-21_10-52-53.png

2020-05-13_11-46-41.png

JTAG.png

5 answers to this question

Hi Ana-Maria,

Thank you for your response.

I have two questions on this case with your permission.

The first one;

Due to the design data I shared with you below now, do I have a chance to programme the FPGA and ARM MUCU by using the A channel of the JTAG-SMT3 Module?

And If an additional software is a requirement to make use of this circuitry as is, do you please to provide this software to me by pay the fee?

The second one;

If I design the A and B channels of the FT2232HQ IC to use it as JTAG, do you please to provide software support to configure the IC by pay the fee?

As you understand, my priority is to achieve the work by using the JTAG-SMT3. If it works by your support, we plan to buy 25 each module for our design project except serial production requirements.

As well as my thought I have presented you, If you have another kind of solution to eliminate my difficulty, I appreciate with your support even by pay the fee.

With my best regards.

2020-05-22_12-46-30.png

@ahmetnc

It's not possible to connect the UART channel of the JTAG-SMT3 to the ARM STM32F439 because the JTAG-SMT3 has fixed direction buffers whose direction respect UART signaling and will prevent TMS, TDI, and TDO from being driven correctly.

If you want to use a single JTAG-SMT3 to communicate with both an Artix 7 FPGA and ARM STM32F439 then you will need to place the devices in series and connect them both to channel A of the JTAG-SMT3. The JTAG protocol was designed to work with multiple devices in series and I'm fairly certain that Vivado can place the ARM device in bypass so that it can communicate with the Artix 7. However, I don't know anything about the ARM programming/debugging tools and cannot comment on whether they properly detect and place unknown/unsupported devices in bypass mode. You'll have to research that on your end.

Thanks,
Michael

Archived