HF SDR 15 to 30 MHz 15 to 20 MHz B/W

K4LED

Question

I need to build an HF SDR to cover at least 15 to 30 mHz with an instantaneous band width of at least 15 to 20 MHz. A bit rate of at least 12 bits with 14 to 16 preferred. Important are high sensitivity and dynamic range. Project is to study Jupiter storms and other similar ionospheric phenomena. This SDR will be attached to a broadband TDF antenna. Want use Digilent modules for A plug and play SDR. Thank you. 

4 answers to this question

Hi,

>> Want use Digilent modules for A plug and play SDR.

you can probably find an ADC board that meets your specs but that leaves you with unsolved problems
a) SDR
b) plug-and-play
and
c) radio issues that are beyond software, e.g. interferers as below.

From between the lines I read that you're not majoring in radio / communications engineering, and probably are not inclined to learn it all the hard way on your "plug-and-play" project...
A more practical approach might be to find a similar application and check, what equipment they use.

Do you have any clue about the interferers that will be present? 1/2 f, 1/3 f, combinations of a*f1 + b*f2 = f ? Strong blockers in your band of interest? The sensitivity will most likely be useless unless you have solved all the problems in this chapter.

If I had to whip up something quickly (but not for pennies), I'd start with PXI cards, some minicircuits LNA, most likely some external filter. The  "plug-and-play" SDR continues then from the IQ data.

xc6lx45
Thanks for the post. Yes I have searched for commercial products without finding anything appropriate. I’m trying to get the boards for a panoRadio SDR since the FPGA software is available for it. I have a Zedboard. I’m not a programmer so that is a problem and a search for a plug and play option is therefore essential. I’m sure there are Several HF ADC’s available that will do the job. I’ll look into the PXI you mentioned. As far as cost I’m trying to keep this under $2k. Thanks. 

well, don't bother with PXI. It's industrial stuff but cost is 10x off.

Check for something that works with minor adjustments. The amateur radio folks are really good at coming up with low-cost solutions, but often there's a crazy amount of work and high level of expertise that goes into it.

>>  I’m not a programmer

Stay away from FPGA ? At least, do your homework before you start buying gear that "should'" do the right thing.

Archived