Question

Dear all,

I have a Digilent Open ScopeMZ and I would like to connect it to my PC using USB through an optical isolator. So far I tried the Ulinx optical isolator but is does not work (can not read any data). Can you propose on other optical isolator or an other safe way of conneting it to my PC?

Bests,

Stergios  

4 answers to this question

Hi @[email protected],

Is there a particular reason you are wanting to use an optical isolator? I don't believe any of us here at Digilent have used one and my understanding is that USB optical isolators are to help prevent electrical damage, but if you are using the OpenScope MZ you can just run it off a USB battery pack to provide electrical isolation, as shown on slide 116 on this presentation here: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/digilent/resources/instrumentation/openscope-mz/21037_ad2_finalslides_1_.pdf.

As per the OpenScope MZ reference manual, you will also need to use a high-speed USB port whereas this optional isolator you mentioned, I presume it's this one since you didn't give a model number, only operates at full-speed USB which is much slower.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Thank you very much for your answer.

The reason is that in some cases in our working enviroment we do not have Wifi. Nevertherless, I did know the distiction between high and full speed USB so now I will search for an optical isolator with high-speed USB.

Bests,

Stergios

Hi @[email protected],

I'm not certain what the working environment situation is for you, but you do not actually need WiFi access (or more specifically access to the World Wide Web) in order to connect to WaveForms Live; you can just use a phones hotspot with no internet access and use an offline copy of WaveForms Live (latest version available on the WaveForms Live Resource Center) that is stored on an SD card of the OpenScope MZ.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin