macOS Catalina - WaveForm Needs Update

ZzyzxOh

Question

Hard Stop after installation. macOS Catalina

"“WaveForms” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

"This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

I sent  message to Digilent Customer Support when I ordered the device from Jameco but I have heard nothing.

Should I just send the Analog Discovery 2 back to Jameco?  Thank you.

5 answers to this question

I was able to circumvent the expected Security Check (never a good thing to do) but believe WaveForms v3.12.2 needs to be updated to have a digital developer certificate or it will stop working (no override permitted) in a coming release of Catalina. For macOS users, System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General and there will be an option to Lanuch Anyway. This is not a good idea and you are on your own once you do that. DO NOT BLAME ME.

The FTDI Extension was blocked, but the device appears to be working with the FTDI Driver that was already installed.

This software needs to be updated for digital developer certificate or it should not be considered for use on macOS.

Hi @ZzyzxOh

The WaveForms software is certified for MacOS.
Sorry but it is Apples policy that put nails in the path.
- under Preferences / "Security & Privacy" select "App store and identified developers"
- on first launch: "Launch Anyway" or secondary tap and open...

Of course, I agree with ZzyzxOh, and I know his account can no longer access the Forums, possibly as a result of his comment. (His logon works for the Store, but not the Forum tab.)

At least you should be warning people to never download WaveForms from any unofficial sources and there should be an MD5 verification code on your site so people can validate the software has not been tampered with, since that's been a better practice for some time.

I mean if you aren't going to be digitally signing your software.

Hi @ZzyzxOhZzyzxOh,

The original @ZzyzxOh account can still access the Forums and has no restrictions placed against them; all of the forum accounts are separate from the store accounts though. Please let me know if you are still unable to access your account and I can work with you to restore access.

I personally have never seen any alternate locations to download the Digilent WaveForms software that are not Digilent hosted websites, but if you know of one, please let us know so I can pass that on to the product manager/legal team as appropriate.

For what it's worth, you are the first person that I am aware to request MD5 verification for the WaveForms software (or any Digilent made software) but I will pass your request on to the appropriate people at Digilent.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived