Buffered Data - Pulling and Triggers

alexplcguy

Question

I have many AD2 boards. We are writing software to pull the data. We are working with the Java wrapper for the C library. I wanted to know a few things:

1. If I make a request to pull the buffered data, does the request pull only complete windows of data. eg. if my window size is 8000, a trigger event occurred and data is still being captured and it only has populated 4000 data points when it gets a request to push data to my software. Will it produce the 4000 at this time or will it produce nothing until the buffer window is full?

1b. If I am able to pull the data with only 4000 points, will the the next register be as position 1? in other words, lets say I am capturing a square wave with a rising edge trigger. If half the square wave is produced when I capture the buffer (and I only pull in half the signal), with the remainder of the wave be placed into the beginning of the buffer that I will observe the falling edge of my square wave? 

2. If the buffer window is full and the device receives another trigger, does it update this buffer with the new data?

2b. Let's again say it hasn't completed updating the buffer before I request to pull the data. Will the buffer be full, as it is updating the upper indices of the buffer with new data despite not having fully run for the current trigger? At this point will it produce a partial signal of the previous trigger data and the current trigger data?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Hi @alexplcguy

1. With repeated/single capture (acqmodeSingle) the data will be transferred only when the capture is done, all the requested 8k samples are collected.
The data is transferred to the computer when calling FDwfAnalogInStatus and the status is done.
2. After the transfer the device will automatically start a new capture, prefill-armed-running(posttrigger)-done
Meanwhile you can retrieve the earlier transferred data with FDwfAnalogInStatusData function.

When the instrument is in any other state than armed the trigger events are ignored.

image.png.eab29824279637243a209cfe6d676b3f.png

Archived