WiFIRE, IoT, MPLABX

marsmen

Question

I know there is another post that is similar and had answers (and another post that didn't), but when I tried to follow the answers, I didn't have success. 

Will WiFIRE get support for setup on MPLAB X IDE?

Will WiFIRE get IoT examples/libraries to build off of?

Will WiFIRE get RTOS?

I've tried (spent over about 50 hours) messing around with MPLAB X IDE and Harmony to get it setup including the following.

I went through the Microchip Website and found some basic examples (ADC, this was successful), but then they switch to a different board for wifi setup. I found a nice forum example, but it is for a previous wifi chip and I could not get it to update without re-writing the whole thing. I might have to take the Curiosity setup and redo it, but I don't know how long this will take.

I went through the Amazon FreeRTOS Setup from scratch (as what they have is for the Curiosity), but that failed. I need to work more on this as it looks like the Amazon steps don't align with the FreeRTOS file structure. So, it might be close? I don't know what it would take to copy and mod the Curiosity stuff.

I used a WiFi Client in Arduino with success, but then when I went to use the method prescribed to import into MPLAB, it appears to be out-of-date and I don't want to spend loads of hours hacking what should not be hacked for only 1(?) program to get the wifi going.

There appear to be a few things available, like the Digilent-core (which I should use in one website, but then another one says to use the more up-to-date chipKIT?) (installing both stops Arduino from working), but most everything I'm coming across looks like it really hasn't be touched in a few years.

Is WiFIRE going EOL? Basically being replaced with the Curiosity?

I know I could spend the next 3 weeks building from scratch to do everything, but I'm using this board for a class and am really behind on the RTOS/IoT assignments. I can get caught up in a couple hours by switching back to my ARM board I was using last quarter, but I really want to use the PIC32 like the class (they are all using Curiosity). 

If I'm able to get IoT and RTOS setup on the WiFIRE, the class will switch over next year to the WiFIRE (which is A LOT nicer than the Curiosity from a student standpoint). But if the tools are to difficult to get setup and the board is going EOL...then.....IDK.

Are resources I've completely missed? Have I completely missed the ball for using WiFIRE for IoT? RTOS?

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

Hi @marsmen,

I apologize for the long delay; I was communicating with the product managers to make sure I provide some accurate details for you.

We do not anticipate providing any further resource updates for the WiFIRE. It is not EoL (but I imagine you can do some reasonable extrapolation into the future; whether or not it is accurate remains to be seen).

With regards to importing the project, I have not had any success doing this. Based on the GitHub for the importers (here and here) it seems that the plugins have been updated to fix errors that I have but when I download the latest plugin from their dist page which are both more recent than the plugins listed on MPLAB X and use the recommended versions (in my case MPLAB X 5.35, XC 2.40, and Arduino IDE 1.8.12) I still am unable to make it work (I just receive a silent error from MPLAB X and nothing happens, though I did see something the first time I tried, but MPLAB X then crashed and I was not able to reproduce it again.

The WiFi materials that we do have for the WiFIRE are all Arduino IDE based; I'm more familiar with the Digilent Core (which I have used with later versions that the listed Arduino 1.6.9), though it appears the chipKIT Core materials/examples are the same at first glance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived