Question

Antonio Fasano

Question

6 answers to this question

@Antonio Fasano,

I see this message.

I might've responded to some of your others, but I don't normally uses Xilinx's IP, so I usually let the staff handle those sorts of questions.  Well, that and although I now have my first Zynq board, it's not really working well (yet).

That said, you are also posting to what's really the wrong channel.  This is more the PIC channel than the FPGA channel, and you might be more interested in the embedded channel within the FPGA channel.  It may be that some good folks aren't noticing it for that reason.  If you see someone who might know the answer, feel free to summon them by name too.  @jpeyron has been a good helper for some of these topics, so ... maybe he might know what it would take to help you out?  I'm not sure, we'll see.

Dan

Hi, Dan,

Thank you very much for your answer.  Yes Yes - You have brilliantly answered some of my earlier posts, I an thank you for that.

@jpeyron is also great and has helped me a lot !!!

I thought that this would be the proper forum, as the name is Digilent Microcontroller Boards. I did not know it was mainly devoted for PIC users.

I am working with the Arty-Z7 board. And now I am trying to develop an application that can use the HDMI output to write text and graphics to an HDMI monitor.

The HDMI out example is OK but it does not have enough information to let us understand how text and graphics need to be sent to the monitor. 

What is the correct forum I should be sending my messages regarding Arty-Z7 ?

Thank you !!!

Antonio

Hi, Dan,

I am not actually using Linux on the PS. I am using the C# compiler in the VIVADO SDK to produce the files that resides in the Mini-SD card and programs the ZYNQ unit at startup.

In my design I use several PMODS attached to the ARTY-Z7 board and also use some IO from the board connectors. It is working fine.

Perhaps using the Linux is what I need. Will I have a chance to use any kind of complier to program what I need ? Will I be able to us the Analog Inputs, Analog Outputs from the PMODS ? Will I be able to use the Monitor and do graphics / Text ?

Thanks

Antonio

Hi @Antonio Fasano,

FPGA would probably be a better forum location (unless you want to go the linux route). Digilent Microcontroller Boards, as noted in the text directly below the link to it's subforum on the main forum page is for "Arduino IDE compatible boards (Not FPGAs)".

I'll respond to your other question that you had here: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/19865-hdmi-out-with-the-arty-z7/#comment-54877,  but the short answer is that Digilent doesn't have any examples doing what are asking. Xilinx used to have an IP that would do what you are asking, but it was depreciated starting in 2019.1.

If you're looking for dynamic overlay of changing text and images to a video stream, then I would think a linux based system would be the way to go, especially if you need to change your text based on what is currently visible in the video stream.

Digilent works with Petalinux; you can see some forum threads about using Pmods with Petalinux here, here, and here.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived