Nexys4: First Power On Unsuccessful

bluebird

Question

1/1/2015: Fixed: I completely forgot about Jumper 3.

12/31/2014:

Hi all,

I'm a FPGA newbie so I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me I'm doing something incredibly dumb.

I attempted to power on my Nexys4 board for the first time today after reading Digilent's Nexys4 Reference Manual: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/university/Vivado-Teaching/HDL-Design/2013x/Nexys4/Supporting%20Material/Nexys4_RM_VB1_Final_3.pdf

Original plan was to run the built in self test. Problem is my board would not power on. I need your help to troubleshoot.

I did two things:

1. I plugged in the USB-UART cable into my laptop. The laptop recognized the USB driver and downloaded driver files. So the USB controller works, however nothing on the board lights up. I configured Jumper 1 to be in SPI mode and pressed the PROG push button. Nothing. No response from the board at all.

2. I plugged the board into the wall using Digilent's 5V switching power supply that's sold as an option w/ the Nexys 4. I slid the power switch to ON. LD22 did not power on. Pressing PROG with Jumper 1 configured to SPI yielded no response which is expected at this point.

I'm assuming right now the board is dead though I had ordered a brand new board and I took it out of the package only a few days ago to compare w/ the reference manual. Tonight was my first attempt to power the thing on. I'm wondering if I did something stupid. Would appreciate everyone's inputs.

Much thanks!

1 answer to this question

Archived