Adept crashes with the Anvyl trainer board

Siriusly?

Question

I just received my first Digilent product, the Anvyl Trainer board.  I installed Adept and received two errors during installation (attached) but I ignored and continued anyway.  The Adept application crashes during the Get Board Info step of the initialization process.  I have uninstalled Adept and tried again with the same results.  Any ideas to get this trainer board to work?

Adept Windows application Error.PNG

Adept Windows application Error2.PNG

12 answers to this question

Hi @Siriusly?,

I don't know what Adobe Acrobat Reader has to do with Digilent's Adept and Anvyl board, so I don't really have any comments regarding "AppContainer Incompatibility in Protected Mode" error, aside from it might be an error in conjunction with your virus protection software: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/protected-mode-troubleshooting-reader.html.

The first one is a memory problem that's more specific to Windows rather than Adept (I presume you are downloading Adept from it's Resource Center here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start). What version of Windows do you have and how much RAM does your system have? I would also recommend restarting your computer as well.

Thanks,
JColvin

I just received the board today and installed Adept for Windows - v2.20.1 from the Digilent website.  I have a new Dell Precision Laptop with 32GB of RAM running Windows 10 Pro.  Does Adept support Windows 10?  I don't see any PC requirements document for Adept.  Could I have a bad Anvyl board?  Adept does not crash if I launch it without the board powered on.

image.thumb.png.6e8c07a2cf3ecf6df09e38b806180373.png 

Hi @Siriusly?,

Adept works on Windows 10 (works on Windows 2000 and newer); I have personally installed it and successfully used it on the Windows 10 machine that I am working on right now.

To clarify though, you can launch Adept successfully if the Anvyl board is not connected/powered on, but not if the Anvyl board was already powered on? Do you have Xilinx software (such as Xilinx ISE for Windows 10) running on your machine? Can you successfully turn on the Anvyl board if you have already launched Adept? I don't have an Anvyl board at home so I can't run any of these tests myself.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes I can launch Adept successfully if the Anvyl board is not connected/powered on, but not if the Anvyl board was already powered on.  If I power on the board then select the Anvyl from the dropdown the Adept software abruptly closes at "Loading Board Information".  I have uninstalled v2.20.1 rebooted then reinstalled v2.20.1 and have the same issue.  I then uninstalled and downgraded to an older version (v2.19.2) and have the same issue.  I have full admin rights to this PC and no antivirus.

Hi @Siriusly?,

I asked another engineer much more familiar with Adept and they have not seen this particular error before either (nor the Anvyl at their home) but we have some things we would like you to try.

After downloading Adept Utilities for Windows (also available on the Adept Resource Center) could you run the following commands and let us know the output?

dadutil enum

and

djtgcfg init -d Anvyl

This will let us know if the JTAG on the Anvyl is properly working.

Thanks,
JColvin

I have uninstalled Digilent Adept and Adobe Acrobat Reader then reinstalled the Adept application.  The Adept installation was successful with no errors reported however the application still crashes during the Get Board Info step of the initialization process.  See below for the requested results from the commands.

image.png.80872c5389bbfc73111cc05aec9b3fb5.png

Hi @Siriusly?,

As you probably saw in the Adept Utilities output, the FPGA on the Anvyl board is able to be successfully detected without any issue. What this likely means then is that there is a problem with the Adept GUI working with the Anvyl board, but we probably won't be able to readily find and make a fix for this. You should still be able to program the board though with ISE and iMPACT in conjunction with the Digilent Plugin (https://store.digilentinc.com/digilent-plugin-for-xilinx-tools-download-only/).

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin

I had trouble getting the ISE and iMPACT working in conjunction with the Digilent Plugin so I attempted to uninstall then reinstall everything Digilent and Xilinx.  During this process I found there were some Xilinx items that could not be removed no matter what I tried there were Xilinx remnants present in the Add/Remove Programs of Windows.  I chose to re-image the PC and I am now up and running, both Adept and Xilinx ISE Design Suite 14.7 are working without errors. 

Archived