Development board suited to video

Guru Tim

Hi,

I am studying FPGA at uni ar the moment and am interested in developing video solutions but am unsure what board will be suitable to get started with. 

My longer term goal is to be able to process 4 cameras at 15 images per second each minimum 1080p, with local recording. And stream the 4 cameras to a recorder over IP in h.264 or h.265 for remote recording and viewing.

At this stage I have no idea where to begin but need a development board to work with. At uni we are learning on the xc7a100tcsg324-1 and programming in VHDL on Vivado.

If you can suggest a board to get started, that would be a great help

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

I suspect it will be easier to use four boards with one camera each than one board with four cameras. If you want to stream over IP anyway, this may work just the same.

As a general opinion (this is highly subjective), I'd tend to try to postpone hardware investments until you are 100 % sure you are buying the right thing. Get something cheap for the meantime, consider it disposable and stop worrying about frying the expensive board because there is none. On the other hand, if I knew right now this will be my workhorse for years to come e.g. for a diploma thesis, I'd buy it rather sooner than later. But, human nature tends towards buying things we don't understand in the hope they will do what we want them to do. Which, more often than not, they will not :)

Archived