Need the simulation model for Micron PSRAM MT45W8MW16 on Nexys4 board

Wilfred

Question

O Wise Ones of the Digilent Forum - I invoke your beneficent assistance!

Where can I find  a VHDL or verilog simulation model for the Micron PSRAM MT45W8MW16 device on my Nexys4 board?

I've looked on the Micron site and they seem to have no information (perhaps it's a discontinued product?).  I have scoured the Internet yet so far I have Googled in vain. 

Thanks a lot!

Wilfred

2 answers to this question

Hi @Wilfred,

Digilent does not have any simulation models for that particular Micron chip, though based off of the Support section in Microns FAQ, they do appear to have some simulation models available, though as you noted it is a discontinued part from Micron so the available resources will be fairly limited.

What are you hoping to learn about the PSRAM chip?

Thanks,
JColvin

On 4/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @Wilfred,

What are you hoping to learn about the PSRAM chip?

I realize that this is borderline necroposting but this thread comes up near the top of the list in a search for "PSRAM VHDL model." So I will answer @JColvin's question:

We don't "hope to learn" anything about chips from Verilog or VHDL models.

We use those models as part of our FPGA design verification. 

A professional engineer will do an FPGA design and as part of the process the design needs to be verified as correct. In order to do this, known good models of all of the peripherals to which the FPGA connects are required. It is always best to get a vendor's model, as we must assume that they know their parts best.

Now every FPGA design engineer has written bus-functional models of peripherals when vendor models don't exist. We do this because we have no other choice. But the problem with this is obvious: we make design decisions based on the information given to us in the data sheets and reference manuals. More correctly, we make assumptions about how the parts work from those manuals. There is an obvious problem: what if we write a model of the parts based on those assumptions, and those assumptions turn out to be wrong?

Sure, we can waste time in the lab with a logic analyzer (embedded like ChipScope or standalone like my HP1661) but it is always better to get the design done correctly before we go into the lab. That's what verification is all about. It's more than just simulation and looking at waveforms. When you're in the lab, you're debugging, not verifying, and that's a different process.

Digilent is the business of offering educational tools to new and want-to-be engineers. Blithely dismissing a request for a simulation model does those newbies a great disservice.

That is what we hope to learn about the PSRAM chip.