Linking Libraries

Bill Buxton

Question

I am unable to link the mtds.h file in the MtdsDemo1 sketch:

MtdsDemo1.cpp:39:18: fatal error: mtds.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

The directory structure of the "MTDS_v1_06_2.zip" file is preserved.  I have tried Arduino 1.8.13 and MPIDE 0150 with the same results.  Switched to MPIDE since I am using the Digilent MX7 Chipkit and not a dedicated Arduino board.  Final goal is to get an MTouch Graphics Display interface working on a custom board using the PICMX32 over the next two week while working at home.

Note that the simple samples for the MX7 build, load and work correctly.

Any help pointing out what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

Bill

Sketch1_mtds_h_fails_v1.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi @Bill Buxton,

I don't know where you got Arduino 1.8.13 (I only see 1.8.12 as the latest version on their website), but when I downloaded the latest version of the Arudino IDE (I already had the Digilent Core installed) and the MTDS 1.06.2 already installed in my "Arduino libraries" directory, I was able to go to File->Sketchbook->MTDS->MtdsDemo->MTDSDemo1, change my board selection to chipKIT Pro MX7, and successfully was able to compile and program the Pro MX7 (I don't have an MTDS with me at home so I'm not able to test the functionality).

One thing that I know I usually have to do after adding a new library is close out the Arduino IDE/MPIDE and then reopen it so that libraries are properly synced. It sounds like the board is working if the pre-defined examples are working correctly.

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
JColvin

55 minutes ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Bill Buxton,

I don't know where you got Arduino 1.8.13 (I only see 1.8.12 as the latest version on their website), but when I downloaded the latest version of the Arudino IDE (I already had the Digilent Core installed) and the MTDS 1.06.2 already installed in my "Arduino libraries" directory, I was able to go to File->Sketchbook->MTDS->MtdsDemo->MTDSDemo1, change my board selection to chipKIT Pro MX7, and successfully was able to compile and program the Pro MX7 (I don't have an MTDS with me at home so I'm not able to test the functionality).

One thing that I know I usually have to do after adding a new library is close out the Arduino IDE/MPIDE and then reopen it so that libraries are properly synced. It sounds like the board is working if the pre-defined examples are working correctly.

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
JColvin

My Thanks JColvin,

Your help is greatly appreciated.  I moved the MTDS directory under the Arduino library directory (MPIDE did not have such) and followed the instructions for "Installing the Digilent Core for Arduino".  The "MtdsDemo1" sketch complied and installed.  However the Display did nothing and I will work with it a while to learn what I can before asking any more questions - probely late tonight.  I know there are a few forum discussions on this.

Again, thank you for your time and efforts to get me going.

Bill

PS, the Arudion IDE displayed 1.8.13

Arduino_v1.jpg

Hi @Bill Buxton,

Ah, I see you were using one of the hourly builds (which I guess is a type of stable beta build?) rather than the release version, that explains the difference.

For clarification, I presume you are using the Pmod MTDS rather than the MTDS shield directly? Presuming you are using the Pmod version, what header are you connected to? I believe the MTDS libraries use the default SPI location which should be Pmod header JF on the Pro MX7.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

I am up and running.  I went back and installed 1.8.12.  The demo sketches use Port/Header JD which I found by trial and error.  All sketches compile, upload and run.  I now have a base to work with.

Thank you for your support,

Bill

Archived