HDMI OUT with the ARTY-Z7

Antonio Fasano

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi @Antonio Fasano,

Digilent does not have such a project available for our HDMI boards. Xilinx has an IP core, Video On-Screen Display, (depreciated as of 2019.1 though) that does do some of these things: https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-osd.html#documentation.

I haven't gone through it myself, but I did find on the Xilinx forums a large and recently updated (as of December 2019) video series on getting video (HDMI, etc) working with Xilinx tools: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583.

Thanks,
JColvin

@Antonio Fasano,

Not a problem.  You can find it on github here.  It's part of a scrolling raster demonstration for a Nexys Video board (comes with HDMI out) and a PMod MIC3 attached as a microphone.  There's actually two projects in that repo--one that uses a DDR SDRAM and HDMI, and a second that contains (an unreasonable amount of) block RAM and outputs VGA.  The design works by sampling data coming from the microphone at 1Msps, downsampling (very significantly), windowing, applying an FFT, squaring the results, calculating an (approximate) logarithm, and then writing the results to RAM.  A second part of the design (present in both projects, of course), reads from the RAM and produces a VGA (or HDMI) output.  One of the key tricks to the design is that there are two images maintained in memory.  That's how the "scrolling" is handled--the pointer to the memory image is just moved over time to make it appear as if the screen scrolls from right to left.  Also, if you do Verilator and GTKMM, the C++ simulation/test bench will draw the scrolling raster of a swept tone onto a window on your machine.

It was a fun project to build and test.  Even better, other than the SDRAM (which you could break at the internal AXI interface ...), it's all RTL so it shouldn't depend upon any Vivado versioning hell.

Just a thought,

Dan

Archived