Vitis hangs when creating platform

engrpetero

Question

Hi, 

I've been following the 'Getting Started' (link https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/start?_ga=2.217466399.800632162.1585244023-1553730059.1584650870 ) and even though it still discusses the Xilinx SDK, I am trying to create a new Vitis Application Project instead.

The Vivado creation of the XSA file seems to go fine.  However, when on the Vitis 'Templates' dialog, I go to the 'Create a new platform from hardware (XSA)' tab, I browse to my XSA file (created during the getting started link, select the browsed to item, then click 'Next'.  Vitis does *something* (not sure what, then I click 'Next', and then the 'Next' button gets greyed out and I can't do anything else.

Any help with why Vitis doesn't allow me to move on with creating the Application Project much appreciated.

Note 1: I cross posted this in the Xilinx forum.

Note 2: I found this related forum entry and it's on step 9 that Vitis won't let me advance.

Peter

8 answers to this question

Hi @engrpetero,

We have an updated Getting Started with Vivado IPI tutorial for 2019.2 and Vitis that should be of help to you: https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/v2019.2. We're still working on getting the demos and other guides updated which is why it isn't posted as of yet to help prevent confusion as to what guides go with each other.

Let us know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the link, JColvin.  The process the link describes was exactly what I did (the initial example very helpful, obviously, and needed only a few tweaks as has been nicely done in the link you provided).  

The problem happens on step 7.4.  when I click 'Next', Vitis hangs (well, 'hangs' isn't really the right word).  Vitis does something (the dialog flashes for a moment) but then the 'Next' button becomes greyed out and I can't click it.  I can click the back button and then I can try again, but each time the 'Next' button becomes greyed out before moving on past the dialog.

I'm wondering if I should do a fresh Vitis install...

Hi @engrpetero,

To confirm, you went and selected the exported .xsa, have it selected, but the "Next" button is grayed out rather than highlighted and available like I have in the picture I attached? Or is it available to be selected (and you can click other buttons like the Back button) and then only grays out after you click on it?

Normally, once you click next you should see a screen with a small progress bar stating that Vitis is reading the hardware specification (attached image for reference), followed by a new pop-up which is the image associated with Step 7.5 in the tutorial (https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/v2019.2#section75). My guess then would be that the pop-up is hiding behind a different window on screen and you might have to minimize stuff to find it, or your computer is struggling, though if you can reliably click the Back button, that probably won't be the case.

I'd try to save reinstalling Vitis as a last option since if there is a working from home mandate where you are located, everybody is using a personal bandwidth connection rather than a separate corporate/business dedicated connection with their own bandwidth allocation, so the install would probably be much slower than you might like. I don't think it would hurt to try it, but it will hurt to do it if that makes sense.

Thanks,
JColvin

xsa choosen with next.png

reading hardware specificiation.png

Your second screen shot was very helpful.  I see the same thing as on your first screenshot.  I thin click 'Next' and I think Vitis tries to show the progress bar you've shown in the second picture.  However, it happens so fast, I never really see the progress bar.  Then I'm just put back to the first screenshot picture but the 'Next' button is greyed out.

I found another post on this forum (I think from you!) that contained a Vitis IDE (zipped) for an arty_z7_20_base.  I could open that in Vitis and look around with it.  So in some ways, it seems Vitis is working.  I just can't get by that first screen.

Vitis picture.png

Hmmm... I think I have the same name as you've shown ('design_1_wrapper [custom]').  There is a space between the 'r' in wrapper and the text [custom] but I don' think that's different from what you showed.  Interestingly, if I choose one of the already displayed choices - 'zed' for example - I can get by the 'Next' button.  

Perhaps trying the quick start all over again to see if I get any different result...

Archived