ad2 bricked?

rfaass

Question

I have an ad2 and plugging the usb in, nothing happens, this is a dell laptop, no upgrades done, used to be working fine; quite bummed, as I used it only 6 times...  no led lights up, also not using orignal power supply...

Also, figure 23,   the power supply circuit is missing in the reference manual... ?

Quarantined at home with no scope...

I think the usb connector is not making good contact... 

6 answers to this question

12 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @rfaass

Is any USB device detected in Windows Device Manager when you connect the AD2?

Thanks you for the quick reply! There was not a usb device detected. It is the usb connector, I have it working by having the power supply connected and the usb cord taped over the top of the unit to stabilize it; I was able to debug my I2C bus on my flight controller, so happy again, but looking for a way to have it repaired...

Hi @rfaass,

I'm surprised to hear that it could be the USB connector, do you have the case off of the AD2 and just the bare board? The reason I ask is because during our design testing (well, attila was the one that did it if I recall correctly) for the new case since USB connectors were a common problem among the original Analog Discoverys, it was found that you were more likely to break the cable itself before the connector.

I don't know which USB cable you are using, but it may be worth trying a different cable to get a cleaner connection (certainly easier than trying to repair it). Otherwise, I know I would like to see a picture of the USB connector if that does end up being the culprit in this situation.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin, I do not have the case off. I tried 4 different cables before I took it to wiggle it and tried to connect. Yesterday I had it working without the power supply, started it up this morning, complained about not enough power and connected the power supply and taped the usb connector. The laptop, a dell 5737 i7 I used it before the cable tie was still on the connector...

But very happy it still works as I now have all the time in the world to work on my projects ?

I'll take it out of the case and put it under the microscope and take some pictures... if there is something to see I'll post it.

And yes, I am very impressed with the design and utility of the AD2! I started to work on electronics in 1977 and could not even dream of an appliance like that; busy designing a 5V 20A power supply for the memory of my 6809 processor, ever hear of those?  

Hi @rfaass,

Yes, I believe I have heard of the 6809 processor, but have not worked with them, probably because I only have a little over a year left before I'm no longer in my twenties. ?

I did find another thread here though that might help solve your problem if it is a case issue since a couple of other people ran into something similar with the USB cable not fitting properly: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/3395-analog-discovery-2-usb-cable-fit-problem/. I don't necessarily recommend cutting the case (or maybe shaving part of the housing on the USB cable), but if you find that might solve what you're experiencing it could be worth looking into.

Thanks,
JColvin

I am happy! I modified the case and made it wider and lo and behold, no more disconnects. Thank you so much. I look forward to spend a lot more time quarantined ?

I tested how the connector went in without the case: straight compared to a tiny bit crooked with the unit mounted in the case.

Thanks again!

Robert.

Archived