Genesys 2 HDMI demo

Tom G

Question

Does anyone have the Digilent HDMI demo running on the most recent Xilinx IP cores / Vivado 2019.2?

Upgrading the IP cores (necessary because I don't have a license to the old ones) seems to result in the bitstream generation failing and a ton of error messages that I can't see how to resolve. Any help much appreciated.

temp.png

5 answers to this question

Hardly a "ton of error messages". All of those say the same thing, set_property does not find objects ddc_scl_io, ddc_sda_io. Also DDC_scl_io, DDC_sda_io are not constrained. Port names are case sensitive. Match your block design to the XDC.

Thanks for the help. I think part of the mismatch is because the TCL script to generate the project fails to complete because of the IP core incompatibility.

Please can Digilent update the demo to work with current Xilinx IP cores? Its very hard for new users such as myself to make much progress otherwise.

4 hours ago, Tom G said:

Please can Digilent update the demo to work with current Xilinx IP cores? Its very hard for new users such as myself to make much progress otherwise.

It's always going to be a moving target for them, considering how many boards they sell, these updates will be a full time job. Users which can't figure this out are unlikely to make much progress with this board anyway. For better or for worse, Genesys is a board for people who know what they are doing as Digilent provides very limited support for it, with very few demos - I would guess because of the price this board isn't their main money maker, and - again because of price - beginners are unlikely to buy it.

28 minutes ago, asmi said:

It's always going to be a moving target for them, can considering how many boards they sell, these updates will be a full time job. Users which can't figure this out are unlikely to make much progress with this board anyway. For better or for worse, Genesys is a board for people who know what they are doing as Digilent provides very limited support for it, with very few demos - I would guess because of the price this board isn't their main money maker, and - again because of price - beginners are unlikely to buy it.

Thanks for the thoughts - Any recommendations for an easier to use FPGA dev board that has HDMI input and has a ton of GPIO (basically HDMI splitter but multiple UARTs out to LED video wall)?

29 minutes ago, Tom G said:

Thanks for the thoughts - Any recommendations for an easier to use FPGA dev board that has HDMI input and has a ton of GPIO (basically HDMI splitter but multiple UARTs out to LED video wall)?

Don't get me wrong - it is a great board, it's just not that good for beginners. I'm not saying it to denigrate anyone, it's just what it is.

Are you sure you need UARTs for LED wall? If you use things like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/420 they use custom serial protocol, and depending on the size of your installation, it will need to be driven at high frequency to achieve good refresh rate. There is some HDL code for it here, but the board they use is no good for you.

For HDMI input - there is a fair amount of HDL code for it floating around Internet, but you will need to learn at least the basics of HDMI protocol to understand how this code works and how to adapt it to your needs. I would recommend to take a look at this, the author of this code is a frequent visitor of EEVBlog forums, so he might be able to answer some questions you will probably have.

Archived