Issues with echo server on nexys4 board

Bunji

Question

Hello,

So I just followed the tutorial https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/nexys-4-getting-started-with-microblaze-servers/start and generated a bit stream .

The server starts as expected because this is displayed on the sdk terminal

-----lwIP TCP echo server ------

TCP packets sent to port 6001 will be echoed back

link speed: 100
DHCP Timeout
Configuring default IP of 192.168.1.10
Board IP: 192.168.1.10

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 192.168.1.1

TCP echo server started @ port 7

However,there is unknown network detected at the level of Ethernet on my PC  and the packets never received. 

The IP address and netmask at the level of my pc are shown below:

What could be the issue?

6 answers to this question

Hi @Bunji,

So far it sounds like you have done everything correctly. The Nexys 4 will be listed as an unknown network, so that is accurate. What version of Vivado are you using and are you specifically using the Nexys 4 board (as opposed to the Nexys 4 DDR or the Nexys A7 or a different board entirely)?

Since you successfully received the data on the SDK serial terminal, what you need to do next is set up a TCP/IP connection to connect to the IP address of the board that is reported, in this case 192.168.1.10. I usually use TeraTerm for this since the Xilinx SDK isn't able to readily make the TCP connection (since you attempting to communicate over ethernet as opposed to serial). This is shown in step 16.3 of the guide you linked.

Thanks,
JColvin

I am currently using vivado 2018.1 and Nexys 4 board was selected. I have used TeraTerm and  and data has been successfully received. However, it still shows packets not received at the level of my pc.

Hi @Bunji,

If you successfully got data on TeraTerm, then you successfully received it on your PC since that's where TeraTerm is. You can set it up so that local data (the things are you are typing into it) is echoed back on TeraTerm through the terminal setup to more readily show the sent and received data sets; the demo is set up to be a local echo so the received data will be the same as the one sent. Alternatively, you could also do a ping test or test the packet echoing as described on this page here: http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2016/01/running-a-lwip-echo-server-on-a-multi-port-ethernet-design.html, in their respective sections titled "Ping Test" and "Packet Echoing". They used the Zedboard and had a specialized Ethernet adapter that they used on the FMC port rather than the built-in Ethernet port, but they use the same demo application, Xilinx's lwip echo server.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I don't have an FMC now so I won't be able to try that.  Also, I  actually wanted to try this so as to be sure that there are no issues with the Ethernet port. As, I am currently writing a code for Ethernet MAC for RMII interface and will be testing on this board

I don't have FMC either, so I don't have any direct comments on that, but on the application (SDK of things) running Ethernet material through FMC or through the Ethernet port itself should be very similar.

I know the MII to RMII IP has been depreciated with no replacement in later versions of the Xilinx software, so you may want to take a look at this forum thread where they got RMII working successfully on a different Artix-7 based board.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived