Analog Discovery Studio Power Supply +12V -12V +V -V not working, LEDs not turning on

PauloCSoto

Question

Hello,

I acquired my Analog Discovery Studio in June 2019 and this is the first time I am trying to use the +12, -12V, +V and -V power supplies.  They are not working.  The +3.3V and +5V power supply rails work great, and their LEDs come on as soon as I turn on their switches, but the +12, -12, +V and -V won't output any voltage even when enabled properly in waveforms and their LED's on the right side of the board won't turn on.  I have tried it with Waveforms on a Macbook and on a MIcrosoft Surface, so it is not the software of the computer it is connected to via USB.

Please advise,

Paulo Soto

4 answers to this question

Hi @PauloCSoto,

I have move your thread to a more appropriate section of the forum.

What version of the WaveForms software are you using? The switch only affects the output pins on the Canvas board (rather than the pins on the Analog Discovery Studio itself). I also presume you are using the provided 15V power supply to power the Analog Discovery Studio?

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your timely replies.  I am indeed using the latest version of Waveforms (just downloaded this week) and the board is working find and being recognized by Waveforms no problem.  I just figured out that the +12V, -12V, +V and -V outputs on the center top of the board indeed work just fine when enabled in Waveforms, so those must be the correct outputs. My original question is about the +12V, -12V, +V and -V output rails on the top right corner of the white breadboard area of the board, along with their corresponding physical switches to the right and their corresponding output LEDs further right on the breadboard.  Can those output rails on the top right of the breadboard not be enabled at all?  The physical "Walk Around" sheet I got with the board refers to only the Fixed and Variable Power Supplies on the black top center section of the board (i.e. the ones that work with Waveforms with no problems).

I am attaching a picture for clarity.  The Power Supplies highlighted in yellow work just fine (labeled "OK" in the picture) but the ones circled in red (output rails, switches and their corresponding LEDs) do not produce any output.

Thanks, 

Paulo

ADSissue.png

Hi @PauloCSoto,

Those pins on the breadboard should work; I just tested them on mine and everything works as expected. I didn't explicitly ask it before, but did you remove the small piece of foam from inbetween the Analog Discovery Studio and the Breadboard Canvas? Presuming the foam is removed (since that is where those power rails go into in the Breadboard Canvas and the 3.3V and 5V lines are apparently working), I'll likely need to tag in @attila for some additional debugging ideas.

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin - thank you so much! Indeed, I had not removed the small piece of foam in between the canvas and the studio.  Once I removed it, those power supply rails, their switches and their LEDs worked perfectly as well.  In the getting started instructions, I had understood the foam to be an external piece of foam that was in the packaging; it was not immediately apparent to me that the canvas was magnetically attached to the studio board and could be removed simply by pulling it up.

This question is now fully resolved.  Thanks again!

Paulo

Archived