Pmod BT2 v. Pmod BLE

ghova

Question

I want to communicate via Bluetooth between an Arty A7 and a Cmod A7 (for remote control of a hifi preamp).

You offer two Bluetooth Pmods: Pmod BT2 and Pmod BLE.  If I understand correctly the BT2 can automatically connect the two boards without intervention by the user.  This is the form communication I need.

Which Pmod is preferably for this application?

4 answers to this question

On 3/3/2020 at 6:03 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @ghova,

I would recommend Pmod BT2 rather than Pmod BLE in this instance. I am working on going through getting two Pmod BT2's communicating with each other without excessive intervention and will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
JColvin

Have you made any progress? I am also trying to communicate two artix 7 through two pmod bt2's, I have the uart communication protocol but I don't know how to configure the two bt2's to make communication between them

Hi CHB and JColvin

The underlying hardware for the BT2 is made by Roving Networks, now a division of Microchip.

The feature I inquired about they call "Cable Replacement" or "Instant Cable Replacement".  It works with Roving Networks's RN-41/42 devices.

I didn't get anywhere at Microchip's site but there is a document from Roving Networks floating about the internet.  I found a copy at

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/Bluetooth/bluetooth_cr_UG-v1.0r.pdf

The PDF is titled 
   "Bluetooth Data Module Command
    Reference & Advanced Information
    User’s Guide"
    RN-BT-DATA-UG Version 1.0r 3/26/13

Section 4.1 discusses "Instant Cable Replacement".

I don't know whether this document is current/correct/relevant but I'm sure Digilent can find out.

"Cable Replacement" is a powerful feature and it would be most useful if Digilent could document it.

Regards

ghova 

Hi CHB and JColvin

I spoke too soon - I have found a pdf at Microchip  (Google 'rn-bluetooth-ap Version 1.0 3/16/2010')

This PDF states clearly what  takes place in Cable Replacement mode:

"Once paired, every time the devices get in range of one another, they will connect and the master will not
attempt to connect to any other Bluetooth device"

Archived