Vitis launch failed

CurtisNotestine

Question

i get the message, "Vitis launch failed" when select Tools > Launch Vitas. I'm assuming that Vitas is a substitute for SDK. I've tried everything:

1. Uninstalled / Re-installed Vivado 2019.2.1
  2. Started a new project from scratch
  3. Looked for solutions in Xilinx and Digilent Forums
  4. I'm trying to run through the tutorial: https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/start 
    1. Section 6.3 fails: File > Launch SDK does not appear in the pull down menu
  5. I'm running the tutorial on the Nexys A7 100T

No solutions can be found.

Questions:

1. Digilent: Can you update the tutorial to correct the SDK section?
  2. Is there a tutorial or app note for Vitis?

My gratitude in advance for any help with this.

PS. The Digilent Nexsys A7 demo program works. And, I am able to run the blinky program successfully.

1 answer to this question

Hi @CurtisNotestine,

From my understanding, Vitis isn't quite a substitute for SDK, more like a replacement as Xilinx stated SDK will no longer be produced from 2019.2 onward.

As for the error, I encountered the same issue as you; what you are running into is that during the installation process you selected to install Vivado rather than installing Vitis (which also includes Vivado); the way Vitis/Vivado is setup, you will not be able to separately install Vitis. You will have to uninstall Vivado and then select Vitis during the install. It'll be the one that says it will take approximately 100 GB of disk space (mine seems to have taken 63 GB total after installation).

I haven't heard direct confirmation from our content creators, but I suspect we will update that tutorial with the appropriate images and directions once we have updated our projects in Vivado/Vitis 2019.2. The current tutorial will probably have it's URL altered to reflect this, but will be maintained as is for the time being as it is in line with the most recent with the 2018.2 releases we have made.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived