Error on BASYS-2 When Initialize Chain

LuisMP

Question

Hello,

I need help on a Basys2 board, that show incompresible characters when Adept runs at begin. Then I get this when it Initialize Chain (see below). You can see the error on attached file.  The board is from an school laboratory and it is use by many students, so nobody know what happend to get this status in the board.

===== Digilent Adept  =====
  Adept System  Rev 2.7
  Adept Runtime Rev 2.19
  Adept Application Rev 2.4.2
Copyright © 2010
Loading board information...
Initializing Scan Chain...
Board information loaded.
Found device ID: ffffffff
Initialization Failed.

Regards

Luis 

Captura.PNG

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Yes, I tested on other computers, but I have the same result. Also I have another basys2 in better shape. It runs smoth.  Also I did an physical inspection. I found a coil L3 blow out, then I replace with other one with unknow value. I had the same result. So I perform a test for voltaje. I found out that the 2.5 V out is missing. I only get .67V. I removed the L3 coil, same result 0.67V. Is there any chance that the 2.5V missing voltaje is the reason for failure???. How do I get replacement for this parts. Is there any support service in order to repair damaged board (I have about 7 u 8 board with diferents kinds of damages) I am in Mexico. Also I tested the board with ISE IMPACT. IMPACT was able to read the serial number on the board, but when I tried to download a program  it  says id code of the FPGA isn't match. Also I was thinking that the students tried to force download a program with other FPGA specs. What do you think?

Regards

Luis

Hi @LuisMP,

I'm not certain on how ISE handled it, but in general the Xilinx tools as well as Adept do not allow you to program a board with a bitstream designed for a different FPGA and would give an error if you tried; I don't think there was a way to force a non-compatible bitstream to load.

Unfortunately, we don't offer repair services for our boards, though I can tell you that the L3 coil is a 2.2 uH inductor, which if broken would prevent the 3.3V line from being generated. If both the 2.5V line and the 3.3V do not properly generate their voltages (I presume the 1.2V line is affected as well) then the regulator on IC2 (a Linear Technology LTC3543) is likely broken, which would cause the Done, Prog, and Init lines on the FPGA to be held low so that the FPGA would not be able to be configured.

Replacing IC2 would be what I recommend attempting to do, though I do not know if there are other damages on the board besides the L3 inductor that you mentioned.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello, after leave it for a while and retake a few day ago, the card works again, in short words, the L3 coil had a bad contact with the card so 3.3 voltaje not was availble, after looking for the error, the FPGA and the ROM are able to detect and I was able to write a bitstream. Now the only thing I can not fix is the name in Adept System that show some weird simbols but name of device not. I found a solution in the forum, but I not very good  in phyton and the DMGR manual is poor in examples. Can you help me to fix the device name.

image.png.aa29bedebbd500016976c87955f0d48d.png