Strobing Setup Feasibility with Analog Discovery: Pattern Generator as External Trigger

brha0386

Question

Hi,

I need to build a strobing system and I was looking into using the analog discovery pattern generator to produce timing delay signals to drive a pulsed light source, a camera, and a high power transistor. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the feasibility of using the analog discovery pattern generator in this way. I have a description of what I am trying to do below:

I have high power resistors that will heat up upon a voltage drop across it causing the heat to locally boil water on the surface of the resistor. I am interested in visualizing the bubbles that form in this process. However, it happens extremely fast (10 us) but is repeatable. I want to set up a strobing system that can be time controlled such that I can visualize the bubbles forming by delaying the timing pulses by 100 ns to 1 us intervals. That is, the resistor will be firing at a fixed interval but the light source and camera will be time delayed along the firing interval to "reconstruct" the whole bubble formation processes.  I have three trigger channels: the power MOSFET controlling on and off of the resistor, a pulsed light source, and a scientific camera with variable exposure. I can develop a digital output pattern to control the operation of these channels. My questions are: (1) does the 100 MHz clock signal for the pattern generator apply to each channel? Also, what is the jitter between channels? (2) can the digital outputs be routed from the analog discovery into a standard coax to deliver the logic signals to a pulsed light source and camera which accept trigger inputs? (3) will the delay from routing the signal into a coax cable be significant (beyond 100 ns)?

Any comments or advise would be helpful!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived