elAmericano

Question

Hello,

My group has acquired the two boards Artix A7 and ZedBoard for developing some applications.  I am noticing couple differences regarding projects and documentation. 

One such difference has to do with the reference base design.  For Artix A7 I am finding the PMOD ports, and I2C, SPI, UART, Ethernet included in Board connections.  For ZedBoard, very few peripherals are included in the base design I was able to locate.  

Question:

For developing new applications for Zynq, can you provide some information regarding Zynq base desing.  Is there more complete project for integrating HDMI / PMODS/ etc..

Does the Arty Z7 provide better support with respect to this feature?  If so we may consider to develop on this board alternatively.

I appreciate your feedback,

ARTIX.png

ZED_Board.png

4 answers to this question

Hi @elAmericano,

I wouldn't say the Zedboard is dead; hardware doesn't really go by the wayside (and the Arty Z7-20 uses the same SoC as the Zedboard anyway). It's more of what support is available and from my limited understanding the resources for Zedboard were going to be curated by the Zedboard community on Zedboard.org, but I don't know those details as those were all set up prior to me joining Digilent in 2014. The Arty-Z7 does have more Digilent made resources if that is something you value though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @elAmericano,

It looks you selected Avent's Zedboard board file rather than the Zedboard board file made by Digilent.

With regards to resources for the Zedboard, aside from the materials on the Zedboard Resource Center, my understanding is that most of the project development for the Zedboard was done outside of Digilent and is available on Zedboard.org with some designs and projects available here and here, respectively. The Arty Z7 does have more materials on it's own Resource Center that may be of help to you.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

I see.  So is zed dead?  I frankly don't see alot of activity on this board to use for reference designs. Many links are broken.  Would you suggest Arty Z7 for zynq development projects as a more up to date development board? Another board?  One project we have in the works will be driven by Zynq and would like to have as many examples with PMODS / peripherals as possible.

Thanks,

Jerome

Ok.  Will go ahead and pick up a couple of those for our team to develop with.  I will still be looking to get the other demos working with the ZED, however, there seem to be several interesting projects that could be useufl for our end application using ArtyZ7.

Thanks for your quick, clear, concise responses.

Archived