Xilinx license with FTDI chip

Ollie

Question

It is my understanding that a special software tool and license is required to make an FTDI F232H work with Xilinx tools. Can you point me to this software tools, instructions on how to use it and where to purchase a license? I naively put a circuit together using the FTDI chip thinking it could work with Xilinx JTAG tools, and only found a license was needed after the fact and need help getting that to work.

5 answers to this question

Hi,

if all you need is simple bitstream upload, you can have a look at this project.

XC3SPROG is another option, possibly with some minor modifications (such as different IDCODE, flash vendor ID and rebuilding the bitstream used for flash access).

This won't work from Vivado, though, but it needs only the electrical setup from the FTDI JTAG application note.

I suspect that you won't be able to simply get a license to for full Vivado support on a standard FTDI chip interface: Apparently (search the forum for confirmation) there is proprietary programming circuitry that is not public information (the "missing schematic page" topics).

Hi @Ollie,

If you want, I can message you the Digilent contact that can discuss the licensing setup that we have if you want to use your own material in conjunction with the resources @xc6lx45 provided (or other resources). Otherwise, if you happen to want a premade solution, I would recommend taking a look at our own programming solutions.

Thanks,
JColvin

just to avoid misunderstandings: The links I posted rely solely on the standard wiring according to FTDI JTAG application notes and Xilinx configuration manual. They work with generic 3rd party boards e.g. Papilio Pro or Numato. Unless the lawyers have cooked up something really nasty, I do not expect there is any need for Digilent licensing in this case.

But, it won't give you Vivado integration e.g. Microblaze debugging, just bitstream upload.

Archived